I wish to advise consumers to avoid insurance agents (unless this is someone that you know and can trust). I have seen too many cases of insurance agents cheating on unsuspecting consumers by telling blatant lies. (There are many cases where they used half truths, which is also dishonest, but not as bad as blatant lies).
This statement may be unfair to some agents who act honestly and take care of their customers' interest. But it is difficult for consumers to tell the honest agent from the dishonest ones. This situation is made worse when the the dishonest agents are allowed to get away scot-free by asking consumers to sign blank forms. Some of the life insurance policies are clearly unfair to consumers, with excessive charges that seem to be designed to rip off the unwary consumers.
I urge MAS to investigate complaints of dishonest practices, rather than let the matter be decided by FIDREC as a dispute. FIDREC takes a long time to decide, and does not have the disciplinary power.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2020 (453)
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
12/05 - 12/12
- Risk of becoming an insurance agent
- Low cost investment fund
- Not insured under Medishield
- Political event of the year
- CPF Life - making a choice
- High speed trading in the stock exchange
- Property Bubble
- Oil price hit 2 year high
- Red Cross and donations
- 100 mishaps a day on expressways
- Renovation: Market forces decide certification fee...
- Be wary of dishonest agents
- Opposition participation and the coming election
- Suzy Orman
- Public talk by Dr. Jacques Attali
- Practical Guide on Financial Planning - case study...
- Standard of postal service
- Blatant cheating (3)
- Comparing whole life and term insurance
- Courts charged 36% on installment payments
- Computer buyers sent on a wild goose chase
- US to extend tax cuts
- High cost and poor standard of taxi service
- Excessive charges to boost profits
- Enjoy discounts on books
- US needs more quantitative easing!
- Social safety net
- TKL Tips
- Avoid insurance agents
- Blatant cheating (2)
- Indisputability clause in insurance policies
- Blatant cheating
- Pay premium for the whole of life
- Riddle - what is this object?
- Mobile games on Windows Phone 7
- FISCA talk on financial planning
- Medishield and Private Shield
- Unethical methods used to sell life insurance
- Revival of protectionism?
- TKL Tips
- Dividend yield on Singapore Equities
- ▼ 12/05 - 12/12 (42)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)