Lorna Tan (Sunday Times Money Page) gave a bad comparison of whole life and term insurance. The whole life policy insuring $500,000 cost nearly $11,000. She said that the term insurance policy (insuring up to age 99) cost $3,300. This is the line of reasoning used by insurance agents, and in a dishonest manner, to get people to buy whole life insurance.
The proper comparison is a 25 year term insurance policy, where the annual premium is $800. The balance of $10,000 can be invested in an indexed fund to earn 4% or more over the next 30 years. It will produce an accumulated savings of more than $500,000. By that time, there is no need for life insurance - as the accumulated savings is more than the sum assured!
By buying a whole life policy, the consumer will have a cash value that is 40% to 50% less than the accumulated savings. Why give so much of the savings away in a whole life policy?
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
12/05 - 12/12
- Risk of becoming an insurance agent
- Low cost investment fund
- Not insured under Medishield
- Political event of the year
- CPF Life - making a choice
- High speed trading in the stock exchange
- Property Bubble
- Oil price hit 2 year high
- Red Cross and donations
- 100 mishaps a day on expressways
- Renovation: Market forces decide certification fee...
- Be wary of dishonest agents
- Opposition participation and the coming election
- Suzy Orman
- Public talk by Dr. Jacques Attali
- Practical Guide on Financial Planning - case study...
- Standard of postal service
- Blatant cheating (3)
- Comparing whole life and term insurance
- Courts charged 36% on installment payments
- Computer buyers sent on a wild goose chase
- US to extend tax cuts
- High cost and poor standard of taxi service
- Excessive charges to boost profits
- Enjoy discounts on books
- US needs more quantitative easing!
- Social safety net
- TKL Tips
- Avoid insurance agents
- Blatant cheating (2)
- Indisputability clause in insurance policies
- Blatant cheating
- Pay premium for the whole of life
- Riddle - what is this object?
- Mobile games on Windows Phone 7
- FISCA talk on financial planning
- Medishield and Private Shield
- Unethical methods used to sell life insurance
- Revival of protectionism?
- TKL Tips
- Dividend yield on Singapore Equities
- ▼ 12/05 - 12/12 (42)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)