I met a German lady who married a Singaporean and lived in Singapore for the past 30 years. She is active in grassroots work.
She told me that the unemployment insurance scheme in Germany is a good scheme and explained the following:
a) In the town where she grew up, many people became unemployed due to relocation of their factories to other countries. The loss of jobs is beyond their control.
b) Many Germans prefer to work, rather than to live off the unemployment benefit system
c) If the unemployed refused to take up suitable jobs, the unemployment benefits would cease - as it is closely monitored by the government insurance department.
She explained that the unemployment insurance helped the unemployed people to tide over a period of financial difficulty caused by the loss of job. While some people may take advantage of the system, the majority are honest workers. While any system is not perfect, it has to be evaluated based on its good and bad points. The unemployment insurance scheme is, on the whole, doing more good than harm.
The unemployment insurance is funded by the contribution from the workers who have jobs. It is a fair system - those who have jobs and salary contribute towards those who lose their jobs involuntarily (and are not out to cheat the system). This is the purpose of insurance!
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2020 (453)
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
04/17 - 04/24
- Family Life Game
- HDB loan and Gen Y
- Learn the national language
- Why I join the SDP
- Dr. Susan Lim on TED
- Nicole Seah stands against GCT
- Should DPM Wong resign over Mas Selamat?
- Impartial civil service
- Affordable HDB flats
- SGEP is getting many visitors
- Message to undergraduates
- Singapore Democratic Party has rebuilt a positive ...
- Candidates speak on Razor TV
- Shape Quiz
- Logic Quiz
- Financial planning tool and handbook
- HDB flat prices and median income
- Nicole Seah and Tin Pei Ling
- Financial Planning book - English and Chinese vers...
- SDP team for the General Election 2011
- Travel insurance
- Ballooning land cost
- Party political broadcast - 5 years back
- Comparing credentials
- Dolmabache palace, Istanbul
- Yeo Toon Joo's open letter to the government
- The black surgeon
- Funding unemployment insurance
- Contest in Tampines GRC -HSK and GMS
- Personal attacks on Worker Party Chen will backfir...
- Family Life - 3 games daily
- Critical illness coverage
- Singapore Election Portal
- Is the government representative?
- Survey - LKY to contest in the general election 20...
- Investment Alerts
- A Government Gone Wild
- A New Earth and Wisdom on How to Live Life
- Unemployment insurance
- No campaigning on 6 May 2011
- Sombre mood in Aljunid GRC
- E-mail scam
- Catherine Lim presents a little tale
- A scam - asking money to pay hotel bills
- Famous quotes from our leaders
- Mapletree Commercial Trust
- Security - a scam?
- Political parties in Finnland
- LKY will contest the general election
- Gas at $4 a gallon
- Is the President's Salary reasonable?
- Real medical cost in Singapore
- Buy motor insurance directly
- Don't cry over split milk?
- Survey - Voting in general election 2011 - interim...
- Chee Soon Juan speaks in Hokkien
- Your vote at the general election 2011
- FISCA website
- Probate and letter of administration
- Grow and Share package - difficult to figure out
- Film - Inside Job
- ▼ 04/17 - 04/24 (61)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)