COMMENT POSTED IN MY BLOG:
The bank did the right thing by informing customers early and proper disclosures.
Consumers also have their own responsibility in managing their own cash flow. What the banks did was to create convenience for consumers so that they do not have to carry large amounts of cash and at some places, enjoy discounts and rebates.
If they did not set up the framework, consumers would still be carrying large bundles of cash with them all the time.
If you are expecting everything to come without cost, then you have to carry your own bank with you all the time.
Banks do not owe consumers a living. If consumers make use of their services, please expect to pay.
I have never been late in my credit card payment - even with banks where I do not have a GIRO arrangement. Why? It is simple - I make sure honour the rules, and am not tardy nor procrastinate my payment.
Perhaps consumers can consider practicing not delaying payment and avoid unnecessary penalties.
It is all right for the bank to incur a charge to cover its actual cost of handling the late payment. I believe that the cost should be less than $5. It is not correct for the bank to levy an excessive charge (just like imposing a fine) and make a profit on it.
Already, the bank is making a profit on the following:
1. Charge paid by the merchant
2. Annual fee for the credit card (although it is usually waived)
3. Interet on late payment.
I am worried that many businesses are aiming to increase their profit all the time, and they adopt are willing to business practices that are unfair to consumers. I urge consumers to reject these types of business practices.
- ► 2020 (260)
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
10/21 - 10/28
- Hassle in writing a cheque
- Registering my share certificate
- Protection under a ILP policy
- Unncessary trouble and expenses
- My first ride on LRT (Light Rail Transport)
- Question on Financial Advice from Indonesia
- Infinity Funds
- Negative return over 10 years?
- Avoid being judgemental
- Shower system for a hotel room
- Photos of Huangshan, China
- What makes a great school?
- Balance flexibility and security
- Low Cost Funds
- Life annuity or money market fund?
- Prompt and fair settlement of claims
- When should I sell?
- Excessive charge by bank on credit card
- Guarantee of 4% per annum?
- How to avoid over-insurance
- Letter from Lawyer Claiming for the Other Party
- Learning Powerpoint
- Search for information from the internet
- High cost of borrowing
- Tips on how to play Sudoku (Logic9)
- Individual Home Delivery
- Monthly withdrawals from Growth Combined Fund
- ▼ 10/21 - 10/28 (27)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)