Hi Mr Tan,
I like to ask about Foreign Currency Time Deposits.What are the risks involved if I put my money in Foreign Currency Time Deposits?
The risk is in the currency exchange rate. For example, if you put $10,000 in New Zealand dollars for 1 year to earn 7% interest (compared to 2% in fixed deposit in S$), you will earn 5% more in the interest for 1 year.
At the end of 1 year, you may find that the NZ$ has depreciated by 5% against the S$, in which case, you will be okay.
If NZ$ depreciates by more than 5%, then you will lose on the NZ$ deposit. If NZ$ depreciates by less than 5%, you will still be better off, by investing in NZ$ deposit.
If NZ$ appreciates against the S$, you will get double benefit, first from the higher interest rate (i.e. difference of 5%) and second from the higher exchange rate.
The challenge is to know what is the likely trend of the NZ$. No one can help you to make this decision.
The currency experts do not know, especially in 1 year's time. I do not know.
If you study the trend of NZ$ over the past few years, you will find that it has the potential to move up or down 10% within a short period.
- ► 2013 (302)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
11/04 - 11/11
- Singapore Banks
- Investing your CPF savings
- Ride out the fall in the stockmarket
- Insurance for a child with Down syndrome
- Insurance agent start a new business
- Loan for HDB Resale Property
- Problem with high profile charities
- Low interest rate in Singapore
- Top up in an Ideal plan
- Payment by Mobile Phone
- Public Transport needs to be improved
- Congested Roads
- Anticipation Policy
- Left or right brain?
- Housing 6.5 million people
- Use knowledge and experience
- Refinancing credit card borrowings
- Encourage tourists to stay a few days longer
- Rush hour on the MRT train
- Business Practice of Insurance Company - Another V...
- Evaluate a study loan
- Investing in foreign currency time deposit
- Diversify your risk globally
- Risky to invest in Gold ETF at current level?
- Low wage for cleaners
- Power of the Internet
- ▼ 11/04 - 11/11 (26)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)