Dear Mr. Tan,
Do I really need whole life policy for my three year old son who was born premature?
Most insurance company hesitate to take his insurance proposal. Company X offered a whole life policy with premium paid for 20 years. I am concerned that in future, he may have problem getting policy on his own, due to his past history. I know that based on insurance needs, he only needs medical coverage now.
My understanding is that the highest risk for a premature baby is during the first month and there is a smaller risk during the first year. After one year, the risk should be quite small.
There is no need to insure your son now. When he becomes an adult, he should be able to get life insurance on his own. By that time, I hope that he will buy Term insurance and invest the difference in a low cost fund.
It may be a good idea for you to make additional savings for him. Invest in a low cost equity fund for the next 20 years. It can accumulate to a large amount of savings (compared to the whole life policy).
- ► 2013 (309)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
01/06 - 01/13
- A Message by George Carlin
- Crisis in health care?
- Time to enter the market?
- Hide! Here Comes the Insurance Guy
- Amazing Numbers - on cards
- Lesson in Money Management
- Term Insurance to age 90
- Private Credit Counselling Service
- Charges under a investment linked policy
- Insure big loss with small chance of occurring
- Medical insurance for Pensioner
- Tips on financial planning
- Get adequate life insurance on your life first
- Late notification of an motor accident
- Whole life policies
- American Humour
- Primary election in the USA
- Mortality charge under a ILP
- Insurance for a child born premature
- Premature birth
- Congenital disorder
- Improve the Singapore MRT system
- Public Transport Guide
- Insuring a risk
- Secret Formula
- High charges on regular premium ILP
- Rejection of medical claim - congenital condition
- Sudoku Challenge - Preliminary Round
- Risk Management and Insurance
- Disability income insurance
- Personal savings for your retirement
- Technique to solve Logic Quiz E-1
- Logic Quiz E-1
- Low cost Term Insurance
- Low cost insurance and funds
- People will buy insurance
- Low cost funds
- Low cost Personal Accident
- Big change in Taiwan over 32 years
- ▼ 01/06 - 01/13 (39)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)