Dear Mr. Tan,
I am confused about the many charges under an investment-linked policy. The insurance agent does not explain them clearly to me. I am now stuck with these high charges. Can I get out of them?
It is better to buy a low cost Term insurance, to provide the life insurance protection. You should invest in a unit trust or an investment fund with low upfront or annual charges.
If you invest in an investment-linked policy, make sure that 100% of your premium is invested and that the only charges are the initial spread (which should not exceed 3%). Make sure that the annual charges of the fund is less than 1.5%.
A good example is the Combined Fund from NTUC Income, which you can buy through the Flexi-link plan.
You should avoid the regular premium investment linked plan as it has another layer of charges that can take away 15 to 21 months of your savings (with a few exceptions).
You can read the following FAQ to understand the charges in an ILP:
- ► 2013 (306)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
01/06 - 01/13
- A Message by George Carlin
- Crisis in health care?
- Time to enter the market?
- Hide! Here Comes the Insurance Guy
- Amazing Numbers - on cards
- Lesson in Money Management
- Term Insurance to age 90
- Private Credit Counselling Service
- Charges under a investment linked policy
- Insure big loss with small chance of occurring
- Medical insurance for Pensioner
- Tips on financial planning
- Get adequate life insurance on your life first
- Late notification of an motor accident
- Whole life policies
- American Humour
- Primary election in the USA
- Mortality charge under a ILP
- Insurance for a child born premature
- Premature birth
- Congenital disorder
- Improve the Singapore MRT system
- Public Transport Guide
- Insuring a risk
- Secret Formula
- High charges on regular premium ILP
- Rejection of medical claim - congenital condition
- Sudoku Challenge - Preliminary Round
- Risk Management and Insurance
- Disability income insurance
- Personal savings for your retirement
- Technique to solve Logic Quiz E-1
- Logic Quiz E-1
- Low cost Term Insurance
- Low cost insurance and funds
- People will buy insurance
- Low cost funds
- Low cost Personal Accident
- Big change in Taiwan over 32 years
- ▼ 01/06 - 01/13 (39)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)