Dear Mr. Tan,
You have written about the "effect of deduction". I am still not clear about this concept. Where can I find this figure? What does it mean?
When an insurance agent sell you a life insurance policy, the agent is required to give you a Benefit Illustration. It shows the projected cash value and protection value (i.e the amount payable on death) at various durations of the policy.
There is a column called the "effect of deduction". It shows the amount that is taken away from you at the various durations. This amount is used to pay the marketing expenses, management expenses and life insurance cover.
For example, if your total savings over a period of 30 years is $150,000 and your gain is $100,000 (say), you should get $250,000. If the "effect of deduction" is $60,000, you will only get $190,000. Int his case, the deduction takes away 60% of the gain.
If you invest through other products, the expenses and fees usually take away about 15% and leaves you with 85% of the actual gains. The deduction under a life insurance policy is much higher and usually leaves you with less than 50% of the actual gain.
If you are being sold a life insurance product, ask the agent to show you the "effect of deduction". If the deduction is less than 20%. the policy gives good value. If it is higher, you should look for other investments.
- ► 2013 (307)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
05/04 - 05/11
- Buy Term Insurance directly
- Register a Google account
- Posting in this blog
- Jakarta 11-14 May
- Signature for Collective Protest
- Difficult questions
- Well done, DBS
- NTUC Income is a cooperative
- A philosophy in people management
- New management style
- Post comments in this blog
- Choosing options in a Shield plan
- Pre-existing condition
- Endowment or Limited Pay Whole Life?
- Non-core business has been profitable
- More than Insurance
- Delay in notifying affected policyholders
- High departure of staff
- What is my motive?
- The Truth About Life Insurance
- Continue with the Ideal (ID2)
- Write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- My life insurance policies
- Effect of deduction
- Exotic Terminal Bonuses
- Lack of transparency and accountability
- Fair distribution of bonus
- Annual and special bonus
- Views from the management of NTUC Income
- Bad name to the life insurance industry
- Charges of unit trusts
- Invest to earn 5% to 8%
- Saving for a child's education
- Reasonable Expectation
- Transfer back to retirement account before 62
- Nearly 3,000 visits on Tues 6 May
- Get several quote on your motor insurance
- Buy a life annuity
- Write to ask the CEO of NTUC Income
- Insurance agents of NTUC Income
- AGM of NTUC Income
- Lack of reply to a letter
- Guts and honour
- Reply to Today: Cut in Annual Bonus
- Prepared to lose the premiums paid
- Is there room for welfare in Singapore?
- Buy unit trusts with Fundsupermart
- Personal attack
- Right and just will prevail
- Increase in motor insurance premiums
- Restructuring of bonus
- Give fair value to consumers
- Leadership - lesson from India
- Apply new bonus structure to new policies
- Prefer higher annual bonus
- Terminal bonus is not guaranteed
- Bonuses reduced by a significant amount
- Does the Growth policy still give good value?
- The less I drink, the more drunk I get
- Silent majority and bonus cut
- More than 1,000 visitors on Saturday
- Letter on Bonus Cuts
- Annual General Meeting of NTUC Income
- Indexed funds or unit trust?
- Smoothing or bunching
- ▼ 05/04 - 05/11 (65)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)