BY DHANY OSMAN
..'With the economic downturn, it's important to help people keep things in perspective and not catastrophise,' he said.
That is what Ms Tan (not her real name), a communications executive, 50, has been doing.
She lost $50,000 in investments in DBS High Notes 5.
She said she kept the news from her husband for fear of starting a fight and lost a lot of sleep wondering how she would pay for her younger child's university education.
Ms Tan said she felt worse when she realised that she might either have to borrow money or delay retirement to make up for the loss.
Being in control of the family finances made it easier for her to keep her worries to herself although she felt the stress each time her husband talked about money.
It left her feeling mentally weary and constantly distracted. However, with support from relatives who lent a listening ear and by making a concerted effort to think positive, she has since recovered her spirits.
'I certainly was upset at first. But after a point, I felt it was time to move on and not dwell on the loss,' she said.
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
12/14 - 12/21
- Mis-selling of ILPs in the UK
- Letter of confidentiality
- California Governor order 2 day Unpaid Leave
- Cost of banks
- Survey by FISCA - Financial Services Consumer Asso...
- No claim discount on motor insurance
- Financial product has high penalty
- High charges in this investment-linked plan
- ProTrader - learn trading in a simulated environme...
- Survey - visitors to my blog
- Survey - Compensation on CLN
- Volunteers to help get 100,000 signatures
- Regular visitors to Tan Kin Lian's Blog
- US Lawyers Visiting Hong Kong
- HK Banks set up legal fund
- Buying a property - get a property report
- Investors of failed structured products to know ou...
- Encourage bank relationship managers to do the rig...
- MAS Ensures Progress in Complaints Resolution
- Bank RM has courage and integrity
- Offer of compensation
- SCMP:Lehman claims' bill HK$257m
- Financial advice
- Means testing for subsidised wards
- Downgrade to Medishield
- Fair charges on life insurance policy
- Fair compensation from insurance companies
- Search for a private property
- Offer of voluntary assistance
- Distributor can recover the compensation from the ...
- AsiaOne: Slip sliding into depression
- A crooked product or a crooked system?
- Helplines - for managing mental stress
- Coping with rising health care cost in Singapore
- Mental depression and suicide
- ERP and MRT in Singapore
- Video of my speech at Speaker's Corner - 13 Dec 20...
- Last Meeting on Speaker's Corner, 27 Dec 2008
- ▼ 12/14 - 12/21 (39)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)