Sunday, April 03, 2011

Loss of identity for Sg

Dear Mr Tan,
A friend from Sg just visited my wife in HK and below is a brief summary of her experience in Sg for the past few years:
1. Felt like a minority in a university where she is teaching. Majority of her students are foreigners.
2. A junior colleage are recruiting up to 33% students outside of Sg, mainly from vietnam in an aim to boost the college results.
It saddens me that schools funded by public are no longer meant for citizens but to create opportunities for others. I have nothing against foreigner (I myself came from HK) but my existence do not create an opportunity cost for the citizens of HK, however Sgreans who could have gotten a proper education in Sg may now be deprived of a place.
Sg is a country with such a short history and i have concerns that true blue Sgreans may soon be history. I felt like I have served my NS in vain and I know of others who feel the same and unfortunately they do not have options elsewhere.

1 comment:

yujuan said...

Someone we know graduated with Masters
Degree in Electrical Engineering-
Research and development, and he was shocked to find himself the only Singaporean in a class in NTU, with a number of foreign students on S'pore Govt scholarship. He felt like the real foreigner in his own
country.

Blog Archive