Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Service recovery by DBS Bank

I posted a blog about the poor service provided by DBS Bank leading to the cancellation of my GIRO arrangements. My relationship manager contacted me and helped me to restore the GIRO with the billing organisations. It was quite a bit of work on his part (but would have taken much more work for me, if I have to do it on my own). I appreciate his assistance and want to post this blog about their service recovery.

I made my earlier posting not for my personal convenience, but to send a message to business organisations. Do not just think about profits. Please improve the standard of your customer service. Get your employees to spend some time to see how you can help your customers and make life convenient for them. Even if they overlook to top up their account, alert them early, so that it does not cause too much damage.

I also have a message for government agencies. Do not think only about cutting down the time spent by your staff when your cost saving result in additional work and burden for the citizen. Do not save 10 minutes of your staff time by adding 1 hour of additional time on the public.  Think about the hassle that your cumbersome process is causing the citizens. Listen to their feedback.

Do not over-focus on security, beyond what is necessary and practical. Apply common sense and sound judgement. Get the right balance, so that your process is more convenient and less cumbersome.

Tan Kin Lian

No comments:

Blog Archive