Monday, April 04, 2011

Why I can't be a good MP

Note: My friend (called DareToSay) sent this e-mail to me, explaining why he can't be a good MP and expressing doubt about new candidates who are confident that they can be a good MP and to hold a full time job at the same time.

Why I can't be a good MP:
1. My social circle is too homogenous - middle high income only
2. While I grew up in humble home (both dad and mom had little education and were blue collar laborers), I cannot remember the last time I have problem putting food on table
3. I have to admit I do not have what some living (and dead) Saints have, which is the ability to emphathise without themselves experience something
4. My focus is on my wife and kids (emotion part) and making sure we have enough to see kids thru University (the financial part). Being not good at multi-tasking (or I call it anyhow do everything), I don't think I can manage the important job as an MP and still do my day job properly.

To conclude, I do not think I know enough how our poorer people is suffering to be useful to assist them and that I do not think I have enough capacity to do a good job as an MP and at the same time take care of my family's emotional and financial needs. 
I wonder how our MPs do it. I wonder further why the new candidates are so confident they can do it.

DareToSay




3 comments:

symmetrix said...

Dear Mr TKL,

IMHO, I think you are under-estimating yourself. Look at the current crop of PAP MPs. About half of them are half-past-six cases. They don't show any convictions nor passion in helping the ppl of spore. They merely echo what the big boys say. I'm confident that you can be a better and more effective MP than most of the PAP folks.

If you feel you can't help the poor ppl, not a problem. You can help the middle-class ppl. There are many other ways you could lead the average joe, with your past experience and exposure in current affairs. You can lick some of the new PAP candidates whom I feel do not add value to the parliamentary process.

Here is my humble suggestion. Consider standing as an independent in a SMC. This will distinguish you from the Opp parties, which some of the electorate have a negative view about. There is a very good chance of your success. Even if not for your sake, think of how your entry into parliament will provide a fresh neutral perspective to govt policies that could shape our future even in a small way. Give it a shot for a term. Retire after a term if you feel this is not your cup of tea.

Right now I can't think of any other worthy candidate.

Tan Kin Lian said...

Hi, this is the view of someone who wrote to me. It is not my own view.

Yan said...

Are you going to run for presidency?

I ll vote for you. =)

Blog Archive