Friday, December 16, 2011

Business Times: Planned CDP revamp


Planned CDP revamp raises many questions

By R SIVANITHY
 
ACCORDING to a recent news report, the Singapore Exchange (SGX) is looking at allowing stockbrokers access to clients' Central Depository (CDP) accounts so that dealers and remisiers can see just what stocks their customers have at any one time.
 
To be sure, when this does materialise, it would be a step in the right direction, one that is arguably long overdue since it would help brokers tailor their advice and guidance to customers, especially those from the retail sector.
 
As SGX chief executive Magnus Bocker said when revealing the plan, the existing system is outdated and out of sync with developed markets so an upgrade is clearly needed.
 
However, several questions present themselves, the most obvious being why such a seemingly important and overdue revamp should take as long as three years to implement.

Read the Business Times for the full story

3 comments:

yujuan said...

Vehemently dislike the whole idea, it's an infringement into financial privacy of the investor.
One of the least person to trust is the stock-broker, no way would get my approval.

Weng Mao Fa said...

Next month, my insurance policy is matured. A bank manager meet me and show me a printed copy of my account details with amount. I am shocked with such business practice. As I did NOT instruct any one to print my statement of account, why the a bank exployee infringe into my financial privacy?

Tan Kin Lian said...

I wrote to Magnus Brocker and gave some suggestions on how to implement the change earlier. He replied on the same day. Most CEOs in Singapore do not bother to reply - so it is nice to see a CEO that is quite approachable and responsive. He earned my respect!

Blog Archive