US judge orders investment bank
to drop 'vexatious' S'pore court action
By GRACE LEONG (SINGAPORE)
A legal battle involving a group of Singapore investors of Morgan Stanley's failed Pinnacle Notes reached a fever pitch after the US investment bank resorted to what a federal judge deemed 'vexatious' means to block their case from proceeding in New York.
US District Judge Leonard Sand on Monday ordered Morgan Stanley to drop its 'vexatious' Singapore High Court action to stop 18 Pinnacle Notes investors from pursuing their lawsuit outside of Singapore to recover US$154.7 million in investment losses.
Morgan Stanley, whose application for an 'expedited' anti-suit injunction is due to be heard today in High Court, may be forced to withdraw its Singapore action because of Monday's ruling.
If the bank refuses to drop its Singapore case, it may be held in contempt by federal court in New York, lawyers said.
Morgan Stanley yesterday declined to comment on whether it will drop its Singapore action, but said it 'respectfully disagrees with the (federal) court's ruling.'
Read the Business Times for the full story.
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Business Times: Suit over Pinnacle Notes takes a turn for Morgan Stanley
- ► 2019 (1702)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
12/11 - 12/18
- Transport woes in Singapore
- Issues faced by Open Net company
- Flowchart of Taxi Booking system
- Prepaid data plan
- An excellent website: Association of Banks in Sing...
- Reply to IDA - Wireless@SG
- Request for assistance or advice
- Business Times: Planned CDP revamp
- Company Inbox for E-mail
- Nobody wants gold now
- Business Times: Hearing of Morgan Stanley lawsuit ...
- ASP.NET Developers and Mobile platform developers
- iPhone projects
- Tips on Financial Risk Management
- An innovative idea - transcribing
- Malls ask for personal details
- Business Times: Suit over Pinnacle Notes takes a t...
- Avoid investing in buy-back guarantee
- Morgan Stanley ordered to halt lawsuit in Singapor...
- Move to e-mail for business letters
- Minimum wage in San Francisco City
- Arabian palace - Jeddah
- Customer service - the Singapore way
- The Old Testament - solution
- The Old Testament
- Confusing online form
- Free WiFi service in Taipei
- Find better ways to make payment
- Property measures in Singapore - Lucky Tan
- Russia's ruling party loses majority in Parliament...
- Exemplary service by SIA supervisor
- Simplify online form
- ▼ 12/11 - 12/18 (32)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)