Letter in Straits Times Forum
BY SPENDING at least $200 on the same day at Parkway Parade mall, shoppers are entitled to redeem an umbrella at the customer service counter.
Happily, I joined the long queue but was puzzled as to why it took about six minutes for each customer to redeem the gift. When my turn came, I found out the reason.
First, I had to produce my identity card and my particulars were scanned into a computer.
Next, I was asked for my cellphone number, which was keyed into the computer as well.
Why does the mall require a customer's identity card details and cellphone number for redemption of such a small gift?
If it is meant to avoid abuse, a customer's receipt is already stamped 'redeemed' once he obtains the umbrella, so asking for personal and contact details is redundant.
The Government is right to introduce the Do-Not-Call registry to protect the public against nuisance calls.
But the management of shopping malls and security guards are too liberal with their requests for personal and contact details. Their actual intentions are hard to ascertain, and this can lead to abuse.
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Malls ask for personal details
- ► 2013 (310)
- ► 2012 (1270)
12/11 - 12/18
- Transport woes in Singapore
- Issues faced by Open Net company
- Flowchart of Taxi Booking system
- Prepaid data plan
- An excellent website: Association of Banks in Sing...
- Reply to IDA - Wireless@SG
- Request for assistance or advice
- Business Times: Planned CDP revamp
- Company Inbox for E-mail
- Nobody wants gold now
- Business Times: Hearing of Morgan Stanley lawsuit ...
- ASP.NET Developers and Mobile platform developers
- iPhone projects
- Tips on Financial Risk Management
- An innovative idea - transcribing
- Malls ask for personal details
- Business Times: Suit over Pinnacle Notes takes a t...
- Avoid investing in buy-back guarantee
- Morgan Stanley ordered to halt lawsuit in Singapor...
- Move to e-mail for business letters
- Minimum wage in San Francisco City
- Arabian palace - Jeddah
- Customer service - the Singapore way
- The Old Testament - solution
- The Old Testament
- Confusing online form
- Free WiFi service in Taipei
- Find better ways to make payment
- Property measures in Singapore - Lucky Tan
- Russia's ruling party loses majority in Parliament...
- Exemplary service by SIA supervisor
- Simplify online form
- ▼ 12/11 - 12/18 (32)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)