Hi Mr Tan,
I like to ask about Foreign Currency Time Deposits.
What are the risks involved if I put my money in Foreign Currency Time Deposits?
The risk is in the currency exchange rate.
For example, if you put $10,000 in New Zealand dollars for 1 year to earn 7% interest (compared to 2% in fixed deposit in S$), you will earn 5% more in the interest for 1 year.
At the end of 1 year, if the NZ$ depreciated by 5% against the S$ during the 1 year period, you are in a neutral position (compared to keeping in S$ deposit).
If NZ$ depreciates by more than 5%, then you will lose on the NZ$ deposit.
If NZ$ depreciates by less than 5%, you will still be better off, by investing in NZ$ deposit.
If NZ$ appreciates against the S$, you will get double benefit, first from the higher interest rate (i.e. difference of 5%) and second from the higher exchange rate.
The challenge is to know what is the likely trend of the NZ$. No one can help you to make this decision. The currency experts do not know, especially in 1 year's time. I do not know.
If you study the trend of NZ$ over the past few years, you will find that it has the potential to move up or down 10% within a short period.
The same remark applies to investing in any other foreign currency deposit.
- ► 2019 (1610)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
09/30 - 10/07
- Eldershield Valueplus
- Look after the interest of others
- Keep your money in the CPF Special Account
- How to decide on the Eldershield offer
- Insurance takes care of your worry
- $5 million cover under a Shield plan
- Mother not eligble for medical insurance
- Use Google Search
- Increase in bonus rates
- Visit other countries
- Taking the MRT for a gala dinner
- Do you really need the insurance?
- Insurance agents - the bad and the good
- Life annuity and the poor
- Presenting views in "words"
- Investing in Foreign Currency Deposit
- Insurance agents
- Real estate agents
- Compensation for injury
- Monthly income benefit
- Single premium endowment invested in CDOs
- Private settlement for motor accident
- Advice on buying insurance
- Life annuity with no refund
- Tips on investing $60,000
- Tips on investing SGD 1 million
- Actuarial Education
- Avoid "quick return" investments
- Courteous drivers in Brussels
- ▼ 09/30 - 10/07 (30)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)