Saturday, October 06, 2007

Keep your money in the CPF Special Account

Dear Mr Tan

One insurance agent pesters me to put my special account into his insurance product, citing that it would give a x% of return which will be sufficent to see me through my old age.

I told him that nothing is absolute. I could not take his words simply because there are too many insurance products in the market, with so many agents eager "to close a deal".

I would rather be prudent and let my money remains in the CPF until I fully understand the product. Any comment?

MY REPLY:

I agree with you. It is best to keep your money in the special account to earn 4% plus 1%. Most insurance products cannot give this type of return, due to the high distribution cost, expense and profit margin of the insurer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am disgusted with Income agent persuading me yo put my special account into the Growth Policy. I wonder there is any ethics, worse she tried giving me all the craps about the double ideminity and the chamges in CPF next.What can Growth give as compared to what CPF gives me. The projection is marginally above the CPF risk free and not guaranteed. I have to hold till maturity and if I don't I stand to lose. This is unethical and unscrupulous. Many would have been unknowingly persuaded into buying this with special account,
especially the uneducated .
Something has to be done about this type of agents.

Anonymous said...

Don't let your retirement get robbed by them.

Thomas Phua's Blog said...

I asked Mr Tan that one should have their retirement account in CPF for draw down if interest is 4% and use cash to buy annuity.

When I reach my retirement, if I am cash rich, I believe this is the better option.

Use cash to buy annuity and leave minimum sum for draw down with better interest from CPF.

For long term need, if one do not have enough cash, then use minimum sum for annuity.

- Thomas Phua

Blog Archive