It suddenly struck me that I should share a nugget of the telephone conversation between my Financial Adviser and I which happened about 2 weeks ago.
My FA had unwittingly revealed to me that, after Lehman Bros went bust, the financial institute she is attached to found out that the structured products were protected from the US investors. She added that they were only marketed to investors in Taiwan, Hongkong and Singapore, apparently because these predominantly Chinese cities have cash rich citizens with a money-saving habit. I could tell that she was insinuating that Lehman knew very well then that those were unworthy and dangerous products for their own people. But of course, the "reason" cited for not allowing US investor participation was "owing to tax reasons". Even the term "Minibond" was coined to deceive the unsuspecting investors they had intended to court in this part of the world.
From the above information, I arrive at the conclusion that we Asians have been bullied, and taken advantage of by the faltering American financial giants. A large number of Asians have been suckered, MAS and the FIs here too have been suckered, having not done thorough research before letting onto our shores such dubiously-named, out-to-deceive investment products. In my opinion, we were all fooled BIG TIME!
Why should this Singaporean group of ill-fated investors be pushed to moan, groan, cry foul and battle their way through to convince everyone that they were indeed innocent victims bearing the brunt of a spectacular con job. Why should they be made to bear a substantial loss of their investment capital, made up of their hard-earned life savings?
- ► 2013 (300)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
10/19 - 10/26
- HK Monetary Authority refers 40 more 'mini-bonds' ...
- Speech at Speaker’s Corner – 25 Oct 2008
- SCMP: Angry investors protest
- Speaker's Corner - 25 October 2008
- A serious recession in the months ahead
- Call for Public Inquiry - some views
- No compensation from ABN AMRO
- Just One Year
- Investors want open forum with DBS
- Hong Kong: Legco raps shortcomings in minibonds mo...
- Global financial crisis is getting out of control
- Treat all investors fairly
- Response to: DBS begins process to compensate cust...
- Reputation as financial services hub
- High risk, absymal return
- Impact of Lehman Brothers on different types of se...
- Demand for Compensation
- A fair compensation
- Distributor should be responsible
- Hong Kong: Minibond investors demand full refund
- New swap counterparty
- Avoid land banking
- Requests for media interviews
- Draft: Letter to request for Open Forum
- Inteview with journalist (4)
- DBS Bank, Hong Leong Finance and Maybank to give c...
- Marketed to Asians
- A good settlement?
- Did the financial institution carry out any risk a...
- Understanding the technical terms
- Collective letter to distributor
- Collective legal action - request for proposals
- MAS push responsibility to Financial Institution
- Where does the BUCK STOP?
- Lawyer: No obligation, no fee consultation
- SCMP: Investors hit by Lehman collapse get papers ...
- Volunteers to write statements of complaints
- Post in my blog without Google account
- Block comments
- Response to Mr. Lim Hng Kiang and MAS
- Independent financial advisers are not able to com...
- Investors should not be compensated
- Do you hear the people sing
- Exploitation of the consumer
- Views from an ex-private banker
- MAS reply to Parliamentary Questions on Credit Lin...
- Interview at Bloomberg TV
- Continue your good work for ordinary citizens
- HKMA refers Lehman-Brothers-related cases to the S...
- Positive or negative?
- Petition #3 (To Mrs Lim Hwee Hua)
- Fraudalent misrepresentation and clear mis-selling...
- Be careful of your relationship manager
- Tips from an ex-financial adviser
- Be truthful, not fearful
- Petition #3 - Fair and equal compensation to all b...
- Onus of proof
- Volunteers to write statement of claim
- Jubilee Notes
- Speaker's Corner - Credit linked securities
- Suing for defamatory remarks
- Call to MAS - investigate mass cheating
- New list of investors sorted by distributor
- Conscience, integrity and trust - a leader's hallm...
- General advice to investors of structured products...
- Interview with Sunday Times
- Ask for a full refund now
- Do not succumb to greed
- Ask MAS for advice to sort out this type of proble...
- Not an isolated case
- Lehman Structured notes on Wheat and Milk
- ▼ 10/19 - 10/26 (71)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)