Friday, March 27, 2009

Language, literature and culture


I have studied science and mathematics for most of my life and have excelled in them. They are good for the world of business.

In recent years, I have learned to realize about the special quality of language, literature and culture. The language of any people is developed through the collective efforts of the best people in that culture, namely the writers, poets, and philosophers. The values of a people is embedded in their language. They  have to work together in harmony, so that their thoughts can be explained and understood in the language.

It is the talented people that are able to write the lyrics and musics to their popular songs. I learned some of these songs to appreciate the culture of the people in other nations.

Recently, I met a 80 year old professor who was able to recite the entire famous poem by William Wordsworth, "Daffodils".  He learned it more than 60 years ago, in school and in remained with him throughout his life.

I believe that the learning of language, literature and culture will build a better people. I hope that our schools will re-look at the syllabus and build a more considerate and thinking people.

Tan Kin Lian




No comments:

Blog Archive