Gambling is a game of chance. It is fun. Many people enjoy it. A common type of gambling is a bet.
When you bet on an outcome with a friend, you have the choice of taking either side of the bet. You do not have to incur any expense. What one person gains is the loss of the other person.
When you place a bet with a betting house, you have to incur a spread. For example, you may lose $100 when you win the bet but only win $90 when you lose the bet. The spread in this case is 10%. The betting house needs the spread to cover its expenses and to make a profit.
The betting house is ready to take you bet at any time, but the odds may change according to the time that you placed your bet.
When you place a bet on a sporting game, there is the risk that the party that collects the bets may bribe the player towards an outcome that is profitable to that party. This is called "fixing the game" and is a crime. You have to be careful about betting on a game that can be fixed. In that case, you will get less than your fair payout.
When you bet on certain type of games in a casino, you can calculate the actual odds of winning or losing the bet, based on the physical characteristics. For example, the chance of drawing an ace in a pack of cards is 1 in 13. The chance of getting the right number on the roll of a dice is 1 in 6. The chance of picking the right number in a rouletter is 1 in 38 (i.e. 36 numbers plus 0 and 00).
You can pick on any outcome, but the reward for getting it right will be based on the actual odds, less an expense margin.
For example, in roulette, you will win $35 for each $1 that you have bet although the chance of losing is 1 in 37. If there are equal bets on the 36 numbers, the casino will break even on 36 out of 38 cases and win all the entire bets on 2 out of 38 cases. The spread is nearly 5%. This is used to cover the expenses of running the casino and producing a profit.
Note: you should avoid bets where the payout is not fair to the better, or where the spread is higher than the entertainment value.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (302)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
10/18 - 10/25
- Mandating health insurance
- Price chart of land in UK
- Keep your investment fees low
- Rechargeable Torchlight with Locator Lamp
- Guarantee against losses
- Spread in betting games
- Fax the Benefit Illustration
- Poor customer service in Financial Firms
- FISCA Research
- Difficult to make timing decisions
- Minibond suit in Singapore let by Conrad Campos
- Big swings in currency values
- TKL Financial Planning (draft 5a)
- Writing a will
- Betting - getting the right payout
- Automated gates - a waste of money
- Reduce taxi fares
- Gambling and investing
- A counter staff who said "yes"
- Continue working to stay in good health
- Income gap in Singapore
- A poor deal for consumers on single premium polici...
- Kallang Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE)
- Sudoku - Very Difficult Puzzles
- CPF Life
- Wider duty of a lawyer
- Capital Protected Product - sold in 2002
- A lesson in humility
- RED Portal (20)
- Public Forum on CPF Life
- RED Portal (19) - Latest Transctions
- Benefit Illustration for a Life Insurance Policy
- Guaranteed products
- Postive views about CPF Life
- The Singapore Model - Where from, where to?
- Difference of views
- Articles in my blog
- ▼ 10/18 - 10/25 (37)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)