What are the spreads in some of the common betting games, such as 4D, Toto, Big Sweep, horse racing, football betting?
Here are the ways to find out:
a) 4D, Big Sweep. Assume that the operator sell all of the tickets. How much money is collected? How much money is paid out, adding up all the prizes of all the winning tickets. This represents the odds. I believe that the total payout is about 60% to 75% of the total bets. The balance goes towards expenses (e.g. salaries, printing, office, sales commission), taxes (i.e. paid to the Government) and profit to the operator.
b) Toto, horse racing, football betting. You are not able to calculate the bets and prizes from the structure of the betting game as there are some variables that cannot be directly calculated. Here, you can look at the accounts and find out the total amount that is collected from the bets and the total paid out as prizes to the winners.
Which game is best for betting? It depends on whether you are a real gambler (in which case, you choose a game with the highest payout ratio, such as roulette or poker), or whether you are a fun gambler (in which case, you choose a game that you enjoyed most, such as horse racing or football betting).
Tip: Always bet with money that you can afford to lose. Treat it as another form of entertainment. If you can spend $500 on a holiday, and you enjoy spending this amount on a betting game, go and bet - but make sure that the money can give you the enjoyment for a few hours or a day (and not in just a few minutes).
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (310)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
10/18 - 10/25
- Mandating health insurance
- Price chart of land in UK
- Keep your investment fees low
- Rechargeable Torchlight with Locator Lamp
- Guarantee against losses
- Spread in betting games
- Fax the Benefit Illustration
- Poor customer service in Financial Firms
- FISCA Research
- Difficult to make timing decisions
- Minibond suit in Singapore let by Conrad Campos
- Big swings in currency values
- TKL Financial Planning (draft 5a)
- Writing a will
- Betting - getting the right payout
- Automated gates - a waste of money
- Reduce taxi fares
- Gambling and investing
- A counter staff who said "yes"
- Continue working to stay in good health
- Income gap in Singapore
- A poor deal for consumers on single premium polici...
- Kallang Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE)
- Sudoku - Very Difficult Puzzles
- CPF Life
- Wider duty of a lawyer
- Capital Protected Product - sold in 2002
- A lesson in humility
- RED Portal (20)
- Public Forum on CPF Life
- RED Portal (19) - Latest Transctions
- Benefit Illustration for a Life Insurance Policy
- Guaranteed products
- Postive views about CPF Life
- The Singapore Model - Where from, where to?
- Difference of views
- Articles in my blog
- ▼ 10/18 - 10/25 (37)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)