The Monetary Authority of Singapore publishes an "alert list" in its website that identifies a long list of companies that operates investments that are not regulated by MAS. They even state that this is not an exhaustive list. This approach is not helpful to the general public.
A better approach is for Parliament to legislate the types of investments that should be regulated. I suggest the following definition, "any contract involving a return of money or delivery of future services, where the contract is advertised to the public through the media or a public talk, excluding contracts where the sum involved is less than $500".
For the avoidance of doubts, the following types of contracts required to be regulated (give a list of the types of transactions, including land banking, time sharing and many multi-level types of marketing scheme). The legislation can also identify the types of transactions that do not need to be regulated. The legislation can give the power to MAS to add or remove from the inclusion or exclusion list from time to time, with the right to appeal to the Minister.
I hope that some of our hardworking members of Parliament can bring up this suggestion to Parliament.
Please give your views on this approach and suggestions on the inclusion and exclusion list.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (300)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
03/14 - 03/21
- Problem with private insurance
- Experiences with websites
- Overseas orders for my books
- FISCA website
- A responsive call center
- Decreasing term assurance for 25 years
- Courtesy of a reply
- Avoid tele-marketing call
- Suggestion to regulate all types of investments
- Red light area gets out of line
- Danger on Asian Buses
- Inflation rate, measured by Reader's Digest
- Parker Korean Restaurant, 209 Upper Thomson Road
- Sense a trap
- MAS Investor Alert
- Resort World Sentosa - how's business?
- Lower standard of service in Singapore
- Good service in Singapore
- Taglines used by trourist promotion agences elsewh...
- Bring tourists to Singapore
- View from a local consultant
- Many orders in i-Shop
- Consultants and Government
- Video on the Shape Quiz
- A reader's view - importance of financial planning...
- Why do you visit my blog?
- Spend $12 and save a lot of money
- Do not accept a poor deal
- Puzzle - find the safe path
- Credit card points
- Improve a corporate website
- Video on Financial Education
- Postings on Land banking
- Debt and delusion
- Postings on Benefit Illustration
- Life insurance - effect of deduction
- Need for stronger regulation
- False hope
- Trapped in a bad investment
- Singapore's Big Bet is about to Pay Off
- Leaders should address important issues
- Unwillingness to take responsibility
- Professional fees and moral values
- Coffee shop and the bank
- Sands Resort Complex to open in April
- Interest in a sales career
- Opposition chief tells Singaporeans: Don't be afra...
- Commission paid to financial advisers
- High pay of Singapore Government Leaders - a view ...
- Review of GST
- History of productivity in Singapore
- Count on PM Lee - Dick Lee
- Land banking in UK
- The Consummate Joker
- Pay of Government Leaders
- Willingness to change
- ▼ 03/14 - 03/21 (56)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)