There is a company that advertises regularly on television that sells land banking and other products.
For the past two years, they have been offering their products to investors with an option for the purchaser to cash out at the end of 6 months with interest at 12.5%. On maturity, they find many excuses to delay the payment and kept some investors waiting for more than a year.
Several investors had lodged a complaint with the Monetary Authority of Singapore and the Commercial Affairs Department, but were told to engage their own lawyer on this matter.
This company continued its mode of operation and more unwary investors are being caught in this type of investment. I was told that several millions of dollars are being collected each month. The company was even able to produce a certificate of "Singapore Quality" issued by Spring Singapore.
Some investors asked me, "Mr. Tan, why is the Government not willing to act on this matter, when many ordinary people have complained about being cheated? Does this company have strong connections with certain people in the Government?". I replied that this is not likely to be the reason.
The likely reason is that one agency will point finger that it is the responsibility of another agency, and nobody wishes to take responsibility to act. This is quite typical of Singapore and is a shameful state of affairs.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
03/14 - 03/21
- Problem with private insurance
- Experiences with websites
- Overseas orders for my books
- FISCA website
- A responsive call center
- Decreasing term assurance for 25 years
- Courtesy of a reply
- Avoid tele-marketing call
- Suggestion to regulate all types of investments
- Red light area gets out of line
- Danger on Asian Buses
- Inflation rate, measured by Reader's Digest
- Parker Korean Restaurant, 209 Upper Thomson Road
- Sense a trap
- MAS Investor Alert
- Resort World Sentosa - how's business?
- Lower standard of service in Singapore
- Good service in Singapore
- Taglines used by trourist promotion agences elsewh...
- Bring tourists to Singapore
- View from a local consultant
- Many orders in i-Shop
- Consultants and Government
- Video on the Shape Quiz
- A reader's view - importance of financial planning...
- Why do you visit my blog?
- Spend $12 and save a lot of money
- Do not accept a poor deal
- Puzzle - find the safe path
- Credit card points
- Improve a corporate website
- Video on Financial Education
- Postings on Land banking
- Debt and delusion
- Postings on Benefit Illustration
- Life insurance - effect of deduction
- Need for stronger regulation
- False hope
- Trapped in a bad investment
- Singapore's Big Bet is about to Pay Off
- Leaders should address important issues
- Unwillingness to take responsibility
- Professional fees and moral values
- Coffee shop and the bank
- Sands Resort Complex to open in April
- Interest in a sales career
- Opposition chief tells Singaporeans: Don't be afra...
- Commission paid to financial advisers
- High pay of Singapore Government Leaders - a view ...
- Review of GST
- History of productivity in Singapore
- Count on PM Lee - Dick Lee
- Land banking in UK
- The Consummate Joker
- Pay of Government Leaders
- Willingness to change
- ▼ 03/14 - 03/21 (56)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)