Several months ago, I received a letter from a big legal firm in Singapore threatening to take legal action against me for posting an article in my blog about a land banking company. The article was reproduced from the website of a UK newspaper. The article made several allegations about the operations of this land banking company that operates in Singapore.
The letter from the lawyer asked me to prove the facts that were contained in my blog. I asked if their client had written to the UK newspaper to correct the facts, but they refused to answer my question and continued to threaten and harass me.
When I related this matter to a friend, she asked the question, "Does this reputable legal firm feel ashamed of acting for a company that goes about to cheat the public?" Some time later, the legal firm suddenly dropped the matter for reasons that are not clear to me.
I now read a report about Lehman Brothers and the large fees earned by their auditors and lawyers in helping to hide the facts about the financial situation of the company during its last few months. Are the fees for these reputable firms more important than moral and ethical values?
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (307)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
03/14 - 03/21
- Problem with private insurance
- Experiences with websites
- Overseas orders for my books
- FISCA website
- A responsive call center
- Decreasing term assurance for 25 years
- Courtesy of a reply
- Avoid tele-marketing call
- Suggestion to regulate all types of investments
- Red light area gets out of line
- Danger on Asian Buses
- Inflation rate, measured by Reader's Digest
- Parker Korean Restaurant, 209 Upper Thomson Road
- Sense a trap
- MAS Investor Alert
- Resort World Sentosa - how's business?
- Lower standard of service in Singapore
- Good service in Singapore
- Taglines used by trourist promotion agences elsewh...
- Bring tourists to Singapore
- View from a local consultant
- Many orders in i-Shop
- Consultants and Government
- Video on the Shape Quiz
- A reader's view - importance of financial planning...
- Why do you visit my blog?
- Spend $12 and save a lot of money
- Do not accept a poor deal
- Puzzle - find the safe path
- Credit card points
- Improve a corporate website
- Video on Financial Education
- Postings on Land banking
- Debt and delusion
- Postings on Benefit Illustration
- Life insurance - effect of deduction
- Need for stronger regulation
- False hope
- Trapped in a bad investment
- Singapore's Big Bet is about to Pay Off
- Leaders should address important issues
- Unwillingness to take responsibility
- Professional fees and moral values
- Coffee shop and the bank
- Sands Resort Complex to open in April
- Interest in a sales career
- Opposition chief tells Singaporeans: Don't be afra...
- Commission paid to financial advisers
- High pay of Singapore Government Leaders - a view ...
- Review of GST
- History of productivity in Singapore
- Count on PM Lee - Dick Lee
- Land banking in UK
- The Consummate Joker
- Pay of Government Leaders
- Willingness to change
- ▼ 03/14 - 03/21 (56)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)