Someone who worked inside a large life insurance company operating in many Asian countries told me, "Mr. Tan, do you know how much profits a life insurance company makes in each of the various countries? It is a lot of money. So many tens or hundred of millions each year. This is why they can afford to pay so much upfront money to tie up with banks to sell their insurance policies, or to buy over other life insurance companies! ". He also told me that Singapore is one of the more profitable countries for the insurance company!
I am aware that the life insurance companies are very profitable, because they take away so much of the future savings of the policyholders - while the regulators are asleep.
Just imagine! If the accumulated savings for a policyholder is $500,000 and $200,000 is taken away from this policyholder, especially in an investment-linked policy (just look for the "effect of deduction" in the benefit illustration) and you will know how profitable the insurance company can be. If the insurance company sell 100,000 policies, the profit from these policies (including the portion shared with the agents) would amount to $2,000,000.00 over 25 or 35 years. Remember, the profits of the insurance company comes from the policyholders who became that much poorer by putting a blind trust in their brand name!
Learn about the benefit illustration here:
Invesment linked policy
If you want to learn a better way to safeguard your own financial feature, read my book on financial planning. It could save you up to $200,000 over a lifetime!
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
10/10 - 10/17
- Third party motor insurance
- Time to buy a property?
- Drop in sale of private properties
- Taking a bus - SG Bus Timing
- Excessive charges
- Google Driverless Car
- Banks banned from selling credit insurance
- Gmail and multiple inboxes
- Currency linked investments - AVOID
- Ask Mr. Tan
- Huge profits of life insurance companies
- Half truths about Life Insurance (3)
- Preparing for the General Election
- Donate to philantrophy
- How to produce billionaires
- Client sues private banker
- General Election Issues
- Is insurance good or bad?
- FISCA Talk on Financial Planning
- Increase in premium for Private Shield
- Branding and Trust (2)
- Hong Kong Suspends Property From Residency Plan
- US housing crisis
- Easy to buy, hard to claim
- Singapore President
- GIC IPO - Global Logistics Property
- Reasonable charge for incidental service
- Information about shares
- Swimming Team at Commonwealth Games
- Too big to fail?
- The Sleep Test
- Shield claim - change of insurer
- HOTA vs HIPA
- Restructure the Global Economy - a comment
- Unaffordable housing
- Cruise ships and sampans
- Case study - to invest or wait?
- Globalization - benefits and harms
- Rebranding and trust
- Fake insurance policy
- Benefit illustration
- Rejected claim under Private Shield Plan
- ▼ 10/10 - 10/17 (42)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)