In the past, the lay person does not know how to invest in shares or which shares to choose. A good choice is to invest in a life insurance policy and let the insurance company manage the investments.
The option of investing in a life insurance policy is no longer attractive for consumers, due to the high deduction may by the insurance company to cover its expenses and profit. Many life insurance companies take away 50% of the accumulated savings from the consumer, leaving a poor yield. For example, the insurance company can earn a yield of 5% but they give only 2% to the consumer. The difference of 3% is a lot of money.
Consumers now have the choice of investing in an indexed fund that takes away 0.3% per annum. If the indexed fund earns 5%, the net yield to the consumer is 4.7%. The consumer can buy the insurance protection through a 25 year term insurance policy and pay a small premium, which is less than 10% of the premium for a whole life or investment linked policy.
After factoring all the cost for the term insurance, the fee of the indexed fund and other expenses, the consumer is able to keep 85% of the accumulated savings, instead of 50% provided by a life insurance policy.
If the accumulated saving is $500,000, the consumer can keep $425,000 (after deducting 15%) instead of $250,000 (after deducting 50%). the difference is more than $150,000.
This concept is explained in several FAQs stored in my website, www.tankinlian.com/ask.aspx. Read this FAQs and learn how to invest in the indexed fund. You can also attend the educational talks organised by FISCA (see www.fisca.sg/events) or buy my book, Practical Guide on Financial Planning.
My message is very important for young people, especially the graduates who are starting work for the first time. Many insurance agents will be seeing you to tell you about investing in a life insurance policy. If you take their advice, you will likely be losing $150,000 or more, during your lifetime. Act now, before it is too late.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (307)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
12/12 - 12/19
- BEST Business Game
- Use Excel to calculate yield
- Invest in an indexed fund
- Role of social insurance
- GPS Navigation System
- Tourist attractions
- Renovating an industrial premise 
- Who pays for the cost of medical report?
- Financial planning for a child
- Financial planning for retirees
- Keep your existing Living policy
- After the Event Insurance
- High insurance charge on ILP
- Capsule hotel in Japan
- Beauty of the night
- Credit card for those above 60
- Concept about aging
- Color printer
- Download of Window Phone Apps
- Web App - Learning Tips
- Mobile App - Learning Tips
- Preventing dementia
- OKI Color Printer C3300
- Be educated about insurance
- Be educated about insurance
- Taxi fares in Kuala Lumpur - two tiers
- Happiness and wealth
- Taxi service in Singapore
- Talk by Dr. Jacques Attali (13 January 2011)
- FISCA financial planning talk
- FISCA insurance talk
- WikiLeaks and Negative Views
- Test your knowledge of insurance
- Capitalist system and its safeguards
- Court case on DBS High Notes - legal fees
- Dispute on interest rate with NTUC Thrift
- Life insurance policies sold to elderly, illiterat...
- Message from Spa Victim
- Democracy rating
- Ape Snap Dining Vouchers
- Wealth accumulator and Flexi Life
- Data roaming charges
- Fire safety regulations need to be practical
- Business Times report on the court decision on DBS...
- Cost of preparing a medical report
- SDCF and fire safety regulations
- Office renovation and fire regulations
- Court decision on DBS High Notes
- Heart implant at subsidized rate
- Timely termination of life insurance policy
- FISCA talk - Insuring your financial security (aka...
- Tips on preventing dementia
- Book - get value from your life insurance policies...
- HSA warns against pills
- Stress and high school students
- Invitation from the author of "Wisdom on how to li...
- Sudoku (Logic9)
- Case study - financial planning for the young
- Benchmark for deduction under a life policy
- Reforms in Malaysia
- WikiLeaks and George Yeo
- Make your own decisions
- Sydney Morning Herald - Big fat red faces
- Tranparency International's survey on corruption
- Low ranking under UN human development index
- MAS and whistle blowing
- FIDREC and the consumer
- Cash out scam
- Yield on Life Insurance Policy
- Tips on Savings and Investments
- Fake $10 note
- Wikileaks and Singapore leaders
- China - the old and the new
- Investor sue DBS over Lehman bonds
- Use Excel formulas
- 90% tax on banker's bonus
- Taxi service in Kuala Lumpur
- KL International Airport
- Medical report fee charged by the Singapore Dental...
- ▼ 12/12 - 12/19 (79)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)