Dear Mr Tan,
In December 2002 (@ age 35), I brought a life insurance policy from an insurance company which paid a monthly premium of S$96.50. The benefits are:
- Death or TPD coverage, S$25,000.
- if surrender at age of 65, based on the Benefit Illustration (Nov 2002), will receive a lump sum of approximately S$50,000 (Non Guaranteed).
What are your comments about this policy?
If you get a return of $50000 at age 65 (after 30 years), you are getting a yield of 2.88%. This is not too bad, but I think that the return from a similar product from NTUC Income should be better. I do not have the figure, but you can ask the business center in NTUC Income to give you a quotation.
You can call them at 6510 2860. See http://www.income.coop/businesscentre/
I prefer to buy a decreasing term assurance and invest the difference in a large, well diversified, low cost fund. You can read about the i-term and ideal plan in www.income.coop/faq.
The cost of the decreasing term should be less than 10% of your premium. If you invest the remaining 90% (ie $1,042 a year), you may be able to get the following amount at the end of 30 years:
Assume an average return of 4% per annum: amount at end of 30 years: $60,700
Assume an average return of 6% per annum: amount at end of 30 years: $87,300
Note: these projections are not guaranteed.
Wish you the best for the Lunar New Year
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (345)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
02/18 - 02/25
- Take a flexible and transparent loan
- Philips Securities promote i-Term
- A senior couple is interested in part time work
- Lunar New Year Party
- Kind words from a cooperator friend
- Today paper, 'Mr Income' puts his feet up
- Center for Seniors
- Goodbye to Uncle Larry
- A whole life policy pegged to a child's age
- Japan has a low birth rate
- A larger population of Singaporeans
- Short term interest rate increased in recent years...
- Why structured products are not popular in America...
- Decreasing term is really affordable
- Stop paying premiums on your whole life policy
- My Chinese name, Liang
- Does car insurance policy cover car pooling?
- Learn how to use public transport
- Valuing their labour
- Workfare Bonus
- Risk is to your advantage
- I treat all the lanes fairly
- Difference in terms used in American and Singapore...
- Better to buy term and invest the difference
- An honest investment banker
- My wife's cousin migrated to Australia
- Is private banking anything special
- Use a short word
- Why do my agents say that my insurance is not enou...
- Buy term and invest the difference
- My honest opinion
- Trailer Fee
- Term with critical illness cover
- Life Insurance Policy with Cash Payout
- ▼ 02/18 - 02/25 (34)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)