Question: In your blog, you said Some people prefer to cover the critical illness under a medical insurance plan' instead of buying a special type of term assurance to cover payment of the sum assured on the diagnosis of the illness.
Is it better to buy term to cover death and permanent disability and get critical illness separately? Or to buy term (including critical illness), since term is cheaper than buying a whole life plan?
Reply by Tan Kin Lian: It depends on the premium that you have to pay.
You should ask the insurance adviser to give you the following options:
* premium for decreasing term insurance (including critial illness) for 30 years
* premium for a whole life plan (that covers critical illness)
You can find out the difference in premium. You can calculate the amount that you can get, if you invest the difference in a large, well diversified low cost fund (assuming that it can earn 6% per annum). You will find that the total accumulated savings could be higher than the cash value under the whole life policy.
I suggest that you visit the business center of NTUC Income and get them to show the figures to you. You can then ask another insurance company to quote for the same plan. Then you can see which gives you a better value.
- ► 2013 (304)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
02/18 - 02/25
- Take a flexible and transparent loan
- Philips Securities promote i-Term
- A senior couple is interested in part time work
- Lunar New Year Party
- Kind words from a cooperator friend
- Today paper, 'Mr Income' puts his feet up
- Center for Seniors
- Goodbye to Uncle Larry
- A whole life policy pegged to a child's age
- Japan has a low birth rate
- A larger population of Singaporeans
- Short term interest rate increased in recent years...
- Why structured products are not popular in America...
- Decreasing term is really affordable
- Stop paying premiums on your whole life policy
- My Chinese name, Liang
- Does car insurance policy cover car pooling?
- Learn how to use public transport
- Valuing their labour
- Workfare Bonus
- Risk is to your advantage
- I treat all the lanes fairly
- Difference in terms used in American and Singapore...
- Better to buy term and invest the difference
- An honest investment banker
- My wife's cousin migrated to Australia
- Is private banking anything special
- Use a short word
- Why do my agents say that my insurance is not enou...
- Buy term and invest the difference
- My honest opinion
- Trailer Fee
- Term with critical illness cover
- Life Insurance Policy with Cash Payout
- ▼ 02/18 - 02/25 (34)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)