Hi Mr Tan
I came across your blog from the eNN Neighbourhood News & would like to get a neutral party's opinion from you.
I'm 50 years old & semi retired with an income of between $1,600 to $2,000, but I'm paying $880 for my monthly insurance cum investment. I find this difficult to maintain and it has become a burden to me. My 2 agents from 2 different insurance companies told me that I do not have enough coverage.
Here are my coverage. (details removed)
With 9 different insurance & investments, I wonder why my coverage & savings are not enough???
Your two advisers tell you that your insurance is not enough, so they can sell more insurance to you. They earn commission on the additional insurance. They are not really looking after your interest.
You should consider your insurance needs in the following aspects:
* how much do you and your dependent need, if your income stops now due to death or permanent disability?
* how much do you need to save for your future needs, ie when you retire
To provide the protection benefit (ie payable on death or disability), it is best to buy a low cost term insurance. To save for the future, it is best to have in a flexible savings plan invested in a large, well diversified, low cost fund. You can read about the i-term and ideal plan in www.income.coop/faq
If you wish to see a salaried consultant who can give advice to you without being motivated by the commission, you can visit the business center of NTUC Income at Bras Basah Road.
For your existing policies, you can stop the saving on the plans without incurring any penalty. The consultant should be able to help you make this decision.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (306)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
02/18 - 02/25
- Take a flexible and transparent loan
- Philips Securities promote i-Term
- A senior couple is interested in part time work
- Lunar New Year Party
- Kind words from a cooperator friend
- Today paper, 'Mr Income' puts his feet up
- Center for Seniors
- Goodbye to Uncle Larry
- A whole life policy pegged to a child's age
- Japan has a low birth rate
- A larger population of Singaporeans
- Short term interest rate increased in recent years...
- Why structured products are not popular in America...
- Decreasing term is really affordable
- Stop paying premiums on your whole life policy
- My Chinese name, Liang
- Does car insurance policy cover car pooling?
- Learn how to use public transport
- Valuing their labour
- Workfare Bonus
- Risk is to your advantage
- I treat all the lanes fairly
- Difference in terms used in American and Singapore...
- Better to buy term and invest the difference
- An honest investment banker
- My wife's cousin migrated to Australia
- Is private banking anything special
- Use a short word
- Why do my agents say that my insurance is not enou...
- Buy term and invest the difference
- My honest opinion
- Trailer Fee
- Term with critical illness cover
- Life Insurance Policy with Cash Payout
- ▼ 02/18 - 02/25 (34)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)