Dear Mr. Tan Kin Lian, Sir.
I have a query about endowment mortgage. The endowment is a European-originated Endowment 65 policy (maturing at 65 years old).
As I understand, with an endowment mortgage only the monthly loan interest is paid, and the loan itself will be paid off with the endowment's maturity payout.
What is your view of this product?
Generally, an endowment policy gives a lower return compared to the interest rate that you have to pay on your mortgage. It is better to make a monthly repayment towards your mortgage, instead of investing in an endowment policy.
In some European countries, there is a tax advantage when you buy an endowment policy. With the tax savings, the net return on the endowment policy may be better than the interest on the mortgage. In such a case, it make sense to take an endowment policy to repay the principal sum on maturity.
This type of situation does not apply in Singapore.
There are many drawbacks of investing in an endowment policy, especially in a foreign country. You should avoid it, unless you are very clear about its implications.
- ► 2019 (971)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
02/25 - 03/04
- Learn to use our public transport system
- Heavy demand for taxis
- Insurance agents faced a conflict of interest
- No reply because of wrong e-mail address
- Logic9 (Sudoku) is well received
- Flying into Kuala Lumpur
- No load investment fund
- My occupation?
- Working from home
- Visitors to my blog
- An unexpected death
- Money market fund earned 3.44% annualised
- Lee Kum Tatt's Blog
- Larry Haverkamp's Blog
- Take public transport to Raffles City
- Mayor of New York takes public transport
- My personal portfolio dropped by 5%
- Market correction - how serious, how long?
- How to select a housing loan
- Aviva advises to "Buy Direct"
- My views on other insurer's products
- NTUC Income funds
- Should I invest my CPF special account in the Grow...
- Should I buy an endowment policy to pay off a mort...
- Mortgage aggregators in Australia
- Useful role for agents
- ▼ 02/25 - 03/04 (26)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)