Saturday, March 03, 2007

Learn to use our public transport system

Too many people rely on private cars and taxis to move around Singapore, because they are not familiar with the public transport system.

The solution? We have to educate the public on how to use the buses and trains.

After leaving NTUC Income, I have started to learn about the public transport. I find the service to be excellent.

My tip? You can paste on your ez-Link card, the bus services that serve your neighbourhood, and also the nearby interchanges.

If you have to take a bus from anywhere in Singapore, you can see the services listed at the bus stop. Look for a service that reaches your nearby interchange or pass our home. You can reach home easily with a direct bus or one change of bus.

2 comments:

Whitehorse said...

Hello Mr. Tan,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Are you traveling by public transport? I believe you are not traveling by bus.

I live in Jurong west extension. I gave up my hope on traveling by bus in peak hours. In Jurong West St 75, morning hours, the waiting time can be as much as 30 minutes in peak periods to board 243. The reason, the bus never stops in front of my block because it is full. You can see many passengers traveling in bus steps even though it is against safety violation. After many residents complaint to the relevant authorities, I believe there is a slight improvement now.

One of my family known person works near coronation plaza. It takes 1.5 hours to reach office during peak hours and return 1.5 hours by bus. If some one spends 3 hours to go to office and return, we will have less time to spend with our own family member or contribute to work.

I work near PSA building. Taking 243 and Bus number 30 takes 1.5 hours to reach my office. Similarly for return. Average working hours 10 to 11 hours (including break). So If I spend 14 hours outside my home, 7 hours rest (for a good sleep). 1 hour for dinner and shopping food items, 1 hour for bath, ironing, preparation, breakfast I have only one hour left for me to spend time with my family and do reading books.

If you travel only by MRT, then I would say it is one of the efficient transportation systems we have. Thanks to the leaders who had a great vision to implement MRT system.

So having a car is really advantage.

Tan Kin Lian said...

I travel by bus to the MRT station and take the MRT train. I find the bus service to be excellent.

I shall try to take the bus for longer distances, and see how the service is like.

As I am not working office hours, I can try to avoid the rush period.

Blog Archive