Hi Mr Tan,
What is the deductible under a medical insurance plan? Why are there so many items deducted from my hospital bill? The amount that I can claim is only a part of the full bill?
The amount that can be claimed may (depending on your insurance plan), be subject to the following limits:
* limit based on the specific item, such as surgery fees or each day of stay in hospital
* deductible, i.e. the first part of the bill that is paid by you (before you can claim on the difference)
* co-insurance, i.e. the portion of the bill (in excess of the deductible) that you have to bear.
Most Shield plans have a deductible (the amount depends on the class of ward) and a co-insurance of 10% or 15%. These requirements are required by the Ministry of Health and is intended to require the consumer to share in part of the bill (so that they can play a part to minimise the hospital bill).
This is how a hospital bill is calculated, to arrive at the claimable amount.
1. First, the individual items are scrutinised to remove any excess over the specific limit (e.g. for surgery or hospital services) or items that are not covered
2. Next, the deductible is taken away
3. Finally, the co-insurance is taken away from the rest of the bill
Here is an example:
Hospital bill: $6,500
Non claimable items: $500
Claimable amount (before co-insurance) = $6,500 - $500 - $1,000 = $5,000
Claimable amount (after co-insurance) = $5,000 less 10% = $4,500
Many consumers find it the calculation to be too complicated. I agree with this view. It will be better for the claim to be simplified.
- ► 2013 (309)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
07/08 - 07/15
- Insurance company should set a good example
- Private medical practice
- Difficult to find a good law minister?
- Singapore system - good, bad and ugly
- Cycling on pedestrain walks
- Fuel economy
- Adviser gave misleading information
- Consumer information - from Australia
- Reduce offer for Excess and Loss of Use
- Profession or business?
- CASE to start a blog?
- Renewal fee on credit cards
- Questionable marketing practice
- Tribute to Dr Goh Keng Swee
- Get good value products from an adviser
- Voiding of warranty on car
- Insurance as a mutual arrangement to pool risk
- Invest in a low cost fund
- Ballet Under The Stars
- Buy a low cost product
- Liquidate 50% of your investments
- Higher interest rate in the future?
- Generic drugs
- Different types of Fat (in food)
- High distribution cost
- Structured products in a bear market?
- Computing a claim on a hospital bill
- Guaranteed renewable health insurance
- Poor return on capital guaranteed products
- Give good value to customers
- Interest rate linked structured deposit
- Cars under warranty
- Front end charge for regular premium ILP
- How the world has changed in a decade!
- Increase in air fares
- Find the right motor insurance
- Avoid high front end charge
- High expense to treat a premature baby
- Cost of insurance
- Talks and Interviews
- Buy term and invest the difference
- Express your views fairly
- Life cycle Fund
- The Madness of Crowds
- Expense ratio on long term savings
- Structured Investments
- Buy from NTUC Income
- My approach towards insurance
- ▼ 07/08 - 07/15 (48)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)