In Singapore, we are familiar with the condominium type of ownership. Each owner has the ownership of a specific unit in the condominium and contributes towards the common upkeep of the condominium.
This type of property ownership is also popular in many countries, including North America.
There is a slightly different kind of ownership found in Canada and a few states in USA, especially New York. It is called cooperative housing. Each owner owns a share of the entire project, and has the right to live in a unit. The owner does not own the specific residential unit.
There are some advantages in this type of ownership:
1. The ownership of the cooperative is similar to equity. It can be transferred more easily, without the high cost associated with a property.
2. The management corporation has more control over the upkeep of the cooperative housing.
3. It helps to strengthen the community bond among the residents of the housing project.
I hope that this new type of ownership can be made available in Singapore.
More about cooperative housing:
- ► 2013 (299)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
10/28 - 11/04
- Right time to buy a property?
- Excessive charges on ILP
- Cooperative Housing in North America
- Next Step for a NS Man
- Importance of low cost product
- Double coverage for medical insurance
- Give a fair return to the policyholder
- Free look period
- Journey on upper deck of bus
- A bus journey with a transfer
- BIGe from Aviva
- Unit Trust and ILP
- When to buy a Life Annuity?
- Increase in ERP charges
- Intra town travel
- Ride on Bukit Panjang LRT
- Views of Light Rail Transport
- Tips on Buying Insurance
- Invest in a large, well diversified, low cost equi...
- Easy and difficult way to handle a simple matter
- Lesson about structured products
- Vitamin Account
- What is 1 million dollars?
- Payout under Vitamin Account
- ▼ 10/28 - 11/04 (24)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)