A few investors still do not understand why the residual values of the Mini bonds are better than the Pinnacle Notes, Jubilee Notes and High Notes 5. It is important that they put in the effort to understand what they have bought and why it has dropped in value. They should not continue to be ignorant.
Here are the differences in structure of these notes.
Mini bonds. They carry credit default swaps on a number of entities. None of these entities failed, so there in no call on the swaps. The underlying asset is still intact. The problem is that the issuer Lehman Brothers has gone into insolvency. The trustees appointed a firm to handle the liquidation of the underlying assets and pay the residual value to the investors. These values range from 23% to 75%, depending on the tranche.
High Notes 5 and Jubilee Notes. These notes carry credit default swaps on a number of entities. One entity is Lehman Brothers. When this entity went into insolvency, the swap was called and the total invested amount was taken away to pay the counter-party to the swap. There is no residual value in these notes.
Pinnacle Notes. These notes carry credit default swaps on a large number of entities. If a specified number of entities (say 13 out of 200 entities) go into default, the total invested sum is used to pay out to the counter party to the swap. A few tranches have reached this critical number and the value of these tranches is almost nil. Some tranches are approaching this number, and the value is now quite low, say less than 20%. The investors can only hope that there are no more credit events, to get back their original investment. The alternative, is to sell them at the current market value.
Sell at market value?
Should the investor sell the notes at the current market value? If I were an investor, I would hold on to the notes as the current market value is likely to be lower than the underlying value (whatever the value is). The market maker probably knows the underlying value, and will offer a value that represents a deep discount. However, each investor should make his or her own decision on this matter.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
01/31 - 02/07
- Tricks by property agents
- 15% discount at Internet Shop
- Seek compensation for losses on the credit linked ...
- Residual values of credit linked notes
- Strategy to pick the right stocks - low PE and hig...
- Fighting rejected health claims
- Practice to pick the right stocks
- Palindrome - the Lost Generation
- Medan is a nice city with nice people
- Rechargeable torchlight - 15% discount
- Seminar on class action
- Immoral profit
- A positive approach towards taxation
- GST is a costly exercise
- Need for a minimum wage policy
- High Notes 5
- Financial institution benefited from the settlemen...
- Pinnacle and Jubilee Notes
- Voting in general elections - survey results
- Voting in the general election
- Overcharging by lawyer
- The Growing Underclass - Jobs Gone Forever
- Improve productivity in Singapore
- Rechargeable lamp (with locator) - delivery $1
- Calculate the rate of interest
- Minibond Payout
- Class action in America
- Two casinos
- Interest payable on loans
- FISCA - Member's benefits
- Good response for Financial Planning book
- Practical suggestions to improve a call center
- Practical ideas to improve a corporate website
- Social services and taxation
- Order for Financial Planning book
- Help the singles with affordable housing
- Crackdown on Tax Avoidance
- What the General Election is about
- Filing my first GST return
- ST Online Forum: Hit hard by insurance policy term...
- Car loan for 60 months
- Adopt a consistent approach
- Foreign currency payments on credit cards
- Football on Pay TV
- Bubble in commodity funds
- Lessons from Canada about banking
- Pricing of HDB flats and subsidy
- Political risks in Asia
- Personal savings
- Cash loan - 16% effective rate
- Creating productive employment
- GST - who benefits and who loses?
- GST is wasteful
- Character building
- Improve your negotiating power
- Practical Guide on Financial Planning - book avail...
- Pressure to develop the financial market
- Low cost housing - a model for economic developmen...
- Universal coverage for health care
- Small country can find its niche
- ▼ 01/31 - 02/07 (62)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)