Dear Mr. Tan,
I am responding to your post on your blog - which is always a great pleasure to read and to follow, by the way.
Date of offer: July 2009
Financial Institution: (insurance company)
Amount of loan: $55,000
Purpose of loan: car loan
Number of repayments: 60 months
Monthly repayment: $1,031 for 59 months, and $1,048 for the final month.
The interest rate which they quoted me was 2.5%, and I would like to find out what is the effective effective interest rate.
The total amount that you have to repay is $61,877. After deducting the loan of $55,000, you are paying interest of $6,877 for the 5 years. This works out to a FLAT interest rate of 2.5% per year.
However, as the loan reduces over the period of 5 years, the effective interest rate is higher, at 4.73% per year. I consider this interest rate to be acceptable for a 5 year loan.
- ► 2019 (1429)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
01/31 - 02/07
- Tricks by property agents
- 15% discount at Internet Shop
- Seek compensation for losses on the credit linked ...
- Residual values of credit linked notes
- Strategy to pick the right stocks - low PE and hig...
- Fighting rejected health claims
- Practice to pick the right stocks
- Palindrome - the Lost Generation
- Medan is a nice city with nice people
- Rechargeable torchlight - 15% discount
- Seminar on class action
- Immoral profit
- A positive approach towards taxation
- GST is a costly exercise
- Need for a minimum wage policy
- High Notes 5
- Financial institution benefited from the settlemen...
- Pinnacle and Jubilee Notes
- Voting in general elections - survey results
- Voting in the general election
- Overcharging by lawyer
- The Growing Underclass - Jobs Gone Forever
- Improve productivity in Singapore
- Rechargeable lamp (with locator) - delivery $1
- Calculate the rate of interest
- Minibond Payout
- Class action in America
- Two casinos
- Interest payable on loans
- FISCA - Member's benefits
- Good response for Financial Planning book
- Practical suggestions to improve a call center
- Practical ideas to improve a corporate website
- Social services and taxation
- Order for Financial Planning book
- Help the singles with affordable housing
- Crackdown on Tax Avoidance
- What the General Election is about
- Filing my first GST return
- ST Online Forum: Hit hard by insurance policy term...
- Car loan for 60 months
- Adopt a consistent approach
- Foreign currency payments on credit cards
- Football on Pay TV
- Bubble in commodity funds
- Lessons from Canada about banking
- Pricing of HDB flats and subsidy
- Political risks in Asia
- Personal savings
- Cash loan - 16% effective rate
- Creating productive employment
- GST - who benefits and who loses?
- GST is wasteful
- Character building
- Improve your negotiating power
- Practical Guide on Financial Planning - book avail...
- Pressure to develop the financial market
- Low cost housing - a model for economic developmen...
- Universal coverage for health care
- Small country can find its niche
- ▼ 01/31 - 02/07 (62)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)