Dear Mr Tan,
I wish to save now for an early retirement. I am in my late twenties. How much should I save each month? Should I buy a life insurance policy? What is your advice?
Most life insurance policies has a high upfront charge, that is used to pay commission to the insurance agent. After deducing the charges, the policy will give a negative return for 10 years or longer. After that, you may get a modest return, but it is quite low.
Due to the high upfront cost, you are locked into the policy for many years, even if you are unhappy with the low return. You can only get out of the policy by taking a loss.
It is better for you to save and invest in a fund that has the following features:
* low upfront cost (less than 1.5%)
* low annual fees (less than 1.5%)
* flexibility to change your regular savings
* flexibility to change your fund
You can buy your insurance protection separately through a low cost term insurance.
You can read more about it in the FAQ on this webpage.
- ► 2020 (260)
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
06/17 - 06/24
- Global stockmarkets
- Financial Adviser in Australia
- Look after the interest of ordinary people
- Importance of savings - a view from an elderly per...
- Improve the call center of the Telcos
- Improve the public transport now (not later)
- Does Land Transport Authority listen to the public...
- Invest in a unit trust
- Invest in an index fund
- Difference between Logic9 and Sudoku
- Learn Logic9 (Sudoku) at Prime of Life Exhibition
- Travel Insurance Claims
- Inflated Claims on Travel Insurance
- Target savings at retirement
- Buy Insurance For A Discount
- Financial Planning for Teachers
- Hong Kong's public transport system
- What is Research?
- Difficult life of a taxi driver in Singapore
- Make my blog more interesting
- Strange simple English
- Universal ID - now known as OpenID
- Photos of my grand-daughter
- A piece of inspiration
- Is the stockmarket too highly valued?
- Talk on Financial Planning
- Visitors to my blog
- Grouses of taxi drivers
- Overcrowded Singapore - a comment
- Bad customer service from Telcos
- Singapore is getting over-crowded
- Best Public Service in the World
- Universal ID for website
- Feedback on the Telcos
- Call centers of our Telcos
- Yield on Money Market Fund
- Visit the financial adviser
- Singapore is 14th most expensive city in the world...
- Tan Kin Lian Has A Blog
- Comments on Dr Lee Kum Tatt's blog
- Save for an early retirement
- Help a friend
- Save adequately for your child
- Sponsored article
- Rating of assets backing financial products
- Government bonds
- Fund earned 20% during past 8 months
- Cost of betting on a financial product
- Look for Solutions Not Scapegoats
- ▼ 06/17 - 06/24 (51)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)