Singapore is now the 14th most expensive city to live in the world, according to a report by Mercer Human Resource Consultancy. It has moved 3 rungs from 17th position has year.
This has many disadvantages:
* foreigners will find it unattractive to work in Singapore
* Singaporeans are stuck with higher cost of living, and do not have much choice
According to the same report, Singapore is now more expensive than New York. Considering that wages in Singapore (for most people) are lower than New York, this matter is quite serious.
We need to look for ways to keep our cost of living down. Here are some suggestions:
* Wait for the property prices to come down to a more reasonable level, before you buy it. It will come down. Be patient.
* Take public transport, such as MRT or bus. They are more cheaper, faster and more enjoyable (compared to driving)
* Pay your credit card on time (ie avoid paying interest on credit cards).
* Invest in simple products that gives you a fair rate of return, and low charges. Invest in the money market fund, bond fund or equity fund that have low upfront and annual fees. Avoid complicated financial products.
* Read the FAQs on financial planning.
- ► 2019 (1584)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
06/17 - 06/24
- Global stockmarkets
- Financial Adviser in Australia
- Look after the interest of ordinary people
- Importance of savings - a view from an elderly per...
- Improve the call center of the Telcos
- Improve the public transport now (not later)
- Does Land Transport Authority listen to the public...
- Invest in a unit trust
- Invest in an index fund
- Difference between Logic9 and Sudoku
- Learn Logic9 (Sudoku) at Prime of Life Exhibition
- Travel Insurance Claims
- Inflated Claims on Travel Insurance
- Target savings at retirement
- Buy Insurance For A Discount
- Financial Planning for Teachers
- Hong Kong's public transport system
- What is Research?
- Difficult life of a taxi driver in Singapore
- Make my blog more interesting
- Strange simple English
- Universal ID - now known as OpenID
- Photos of my grand-daughter
- A piece of inspiration
- Is the stockmarket too highly valued?
- Talk on Financial Planning
- Visitors to my blog
- Grouses of taxi drivers
- Overcrowded Singapore - a comment
- Bad customer service from Telcos
- Singapore is getting over-crowded
- Best Public Service in the World
- Universal ID for website
- Feedback on the Telcos
- Call centers of our Telcos
- Yield on Money Market Fund
- Visit the financial adviser
- Singapore is 14th most expensive city in the world...
- Tan Kin Lian Has A Blog
- Comments on Dr Lee Kum Tatt's blog
- Save for an early retirement
- Help a friend
- Save adequately for your child
- Sponsored article
- Rating of assets backing financial products
- Government bonds
- Fund earned 20% during past 8 months
- Cost of betting on a financial product
- Look for Solutions Not Scapegoats
- ▼ 06/17 - 06/24 (51)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)