1. Is the era of cheap Chinese labour almost over?
A string of suicides at the Foxconn plant in southern China that makes iPads and iPhones for Apple
has focused attention on wages and conditions there.
2. In China, Unlikely Labor Leader Just Wanted a Middle-Class Life
Tan Guocheng is hardly a self-styled labor leader.
Age 23 and introverted, he grew up among rice paddies and orange groves far from China’s big factory towns.
But last month, an hour into his shift at a Honda factory in the southern city of Foshan,
Mr. Tan pressed an emergency button that shut down his production line.
“Let’s go out on strike!” he shouted.
Within minutes, hundreds of workers were abandoning their posts.
3. What Do China’s Workers Want?
What do these protests say about China’s new generation of workers?
How should multinationals respond, given their huge investment in China’s labor market?
Five experts share their views.
The low wages in China is not the only problem. This is made worse by the high cost of living and the high property prices. These issues have to be addressed, so that there is a proper balance between wages, cost of living and cost of a home. These challenges apply to Singapore as well.
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
06/13 - 06/20
- Easysearch Portals
- Poor service in restaurant reservations
- Voting swing at next general election
- Land banking - Look before you leap
- Plan ahead for future MRT interchange stations
- Customer Service and Web Forms
- Good customer service (SMRT Taxi)
- Bad customer service (Maybank)
- Buying Cash Value Insurance
- Signage at the Circle Line
- Accident Photos
- Donation to FISCA
- Selective repayment
- Flood at Orchard Road
- Blogs and ballot box
- Invitation by Land Banking Company
- Keep your existing life policy
- High speed broadband
- Long term investing
- Criticism of politicians
- Workers in China
- Lehman and Enron
- Financial Planning Talk, 26 June 2010
- Fiduciary duty
- Structured products
- Tender Loving Society
- Telco charges
- Land banking Action Group
- Intelligence Quiz
- Poor Return from New Plan
- Willingness to change
- Categories of investments
- Non-PAP politicians
- Experience and perspective
- Speaker's Corner, 12 June
- Lasting values
- Growth in millionaire club
- Nelson Mandela
- Security - role of government and business
- Countdown to 2 million visitors (2)
- City Harvest Church
- ▼ 06/13 - 06/20 (42)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)