Dear Mr. Tan,
I have come across two incidents of high rentals for food stalls. Apparently, this is rampant and nothing was done about it.
Case 1. My friend rented a stall in a primary school, but later found out the stall was actually sub-let from the main stall holder who knows nothing about food business. This person bid for stalls island-wide and sub-let them to the genuine hawkers. How can the hawker sell quality cheap food to students if there is a middle man profiteering from this system? The school administration should ensure the authencity of the bidder and ensure integrity in their business administration? Eventually my friend decided to give up the stall.
Case 2. Another stall holder told me that the rent from the middle man was so high, after a change of landlord, that he had to give up the stall.
It seems that the Jurong Town Corporation is giving up its industrial estates to private developers and landlords. The privatised developers are increasing their rental and the stall holders are being squeezed by the rising food prices and rising rental. The hawkers, who have low education, cannot forsee the privatisation changes coming, and will lose out to public listed food courts like Kopitiam and Banquet. In time, there will be no more sole proprietorships or enterprising business, but everyone has to work for big enterprise. This is totally suppressing small enterprises in Singapore.
I agree with your views. We have a bad system in Singapore.
- ► 2013 (304)
- ► 2012 (1270)
02/20 - 02/27
- Family Life Challenge
- Excessive behavior and profit
- Risk Management for Young People
- Expensive medical bill
- Stay with Medishield
- How to develop a good customer support system
- Customer Support - how to develop a good system
- Excellent customer support - Dropbox
- Arab unrest: 5 eyewitnesses to history (from CNN)
- Election secrecy
- Life in Singapore - Utopia or Dystopia
- Logic Box
- Chee Soon Juan speaks on the Reform Party issue
- This election, your life, your promise
- Financial Planning Talk by Tan Kin Lian
- SDP Anniversary Dinner, 2011
- New FISCA website
- Consumer financial issues
- Policy of give and take
- Higher rentals for food stalls
- Poor feeder service
- Donation to FISCA
- HK Government issues inflation linked bonds
- What values characterize Singapore?
- Perspective of a financial adviser in Europe
- A simple will
- Bus lanes pose accident hazard
- Finding a lawyer
- Talk on Financial Planning
- Family Life Challenge
- Excellent signage
- Traffic Congestion
- Locate your car
- Travel by bus or MRT
- Highway construction and corruption
- $8 heart bypass surgery
- Sorry tale of local professors in Singapore
- More money than your neighbours
- How to get a higher yield
- Revolution in the Middle East
- Financial Plan - revised format
- Wine Investment - complaint about cheating
- Family Life Challenge (win book prizes worth $20)
- Traditional Chinese Medicine - reply to Dr. Colin ...
- Use Google Map to get directions
- Budget 2011 - 73% are disappointed
- Soft launch of "Get Value from your Life Insurance...
- The future of Singapore - a view from a young Sing...
- Talk on Sudoku and Puzzles
- Singapore - before and after 1985
- Unemployment insurance in Germany
- Canada has a better health care system
- Doctors on house calls
- New approach to health care
- Treat people equally
- From Dictatorship to Democracy
- TOTO and GINI coefficient
- Budget 2011 - some views of the people
- ▼ 02/20 - 02/27 (58)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)