View posted in my blog
In our PAP-led government's drive for economic growth at all costs, they have practically destroyed Singapore as a nation. We associate US with the land of the free, of democracy... What comes to mind when we think of Singapore? What values, characteristics then do we associate with Singapore? A little red dot, insecure, hard driving, kiasu, relentless growth,... little that engenders a sense of belonging and pride... What pride we had - clean and green garden city, world class efficiency and service standards - have been eroded and lost...
This is Singapore Inc, truly, a place to make hay while the sun shines, monetize our "homes", "upgrade" and pocket the money... No one owes anyone else a living. What did Singapore Inc achieve in the past decade?
1.In our drive to be an education hub, we reduce the subsidy for our own Singaporean tertiary students; education fees increase practically every year, the industry carved a bad name among international students.
2. In our drive to be a medical hub, we now tell our citizens that they had an additional option of going over to Malaysia for affordable medical care.
3. In our drive to be a financial hub, we created the exact monsters described by the financial adviser in th blog post. People were sold minibombs and dud products like wine and land. Caveat emptor we were told while the regulatory bodies took a soft or non-existent touch.
4. In our drive to be a tourism and MICE hub, we build not one but two casinos, proudly termed international resorts, one of which is aptly designed like ancestral tablets overlooking our financial district.
5. In our drive to achieve all the above and to make up for the loss of our own people who are driven to leave Singapore, we "attract" "foreign talents" by the hundreds of thousands, so much so that we rub shoulders with strangers every day. We are indeed strangers in our land, for we do not recognize the values, the people, the facade of a place we were once proud or at least not deigned to call our home.
I yearn for day, soon, to shout Merdeka!
- ► 2013 (314)
- ► 2012 (1270)
02/20 - 02/27
- Family Life Challenge
- Excessive behavior and profit
- Risk Management for Young People
- Expensive medical bill
- Stay with Medishield
- How to develop a good customer support system
- Customer Support - how to develop a good system
- Excellent customer support - Dropbox
- Arab unrest: 5 eyewitnesses to history (from CNN)
- Election secrecy
- Life in Singapore - Utopia or Dystopia
- Logic Box
- Chee Soon Juan speaks on the Reform Party issue
- This election, your life, your promise
- Financial Planning Talk by Tan Kin Lian
- SDP Anniversary Dinner, 2011
- New FISCA website
- Consumer financial issues
- Policy of give and take
- Higher rentals for food stalls
- Poor feeder service
- Donation to FISCA
- HK Government issues inflation linked bonds
- What values characterize Singapore?
- Perspective of a financial adviser in Europe
- A simple will
- Bus lanes pose accident hazard
- Finding a lawyer
- Talk on Financial Planning
- Family Life Challenge
- Excellent signage
- Traffic Congestion
- Locate your car
- Travel by bus or MRT
- Highway construction and corruption
- $8 heart bypass surgery
- Sorry tale of local professors in Singapore
- More money than your neighbours
- How to get a higher yield
- Revolution in the Middle East
- Financial Plan - revised format
- Wine Investment - complaint about cheating
- Family Life Challenge (win book prizes worth $20)
- Traditional Chinese Medicine - reply to Dr. Colin ...
- Use Google Map to get directions
- Budget 2011 - 73% are disappointed
- Soft launch of "Get Value from your Life Insurance...
- The future of Singapore - a view from a young Sing...
- Talk on Sudoku and Puzzles
- Singapore - before and after 1985
- Unemployment insurance in Germany
- Canada has a better health care system
- Doctors on house calls
- New approach to health care
- Treat people equally
- From Dictatorship to Democracy
- TOTO and GINI coefficient
- Budget 2011 - some views of the people
- ▼ 02/20 - 02/27 (58)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)