Friday, September 11, 2020

Why employers prefer to employ foreigners

 My friend said - Kin Lian, do you know why employers prefer to employ foreigners and not locals?

His answer is not good for local workers.

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Do China banks give good value to long term investors?

Taking an insane journey on Tesla stock

I have made a large profit on Tesla stock when it went up and when it came down. My luck has been good.

It is luck that come with hard work and sweat. I have been studying the business strategy of this company closely for a year.

What is my projection for Tesla stock? Here it is.

Tuesday, September 08, 2020

WOTC - Maintenance of estate

 Wisdom of the Crowd: 67% of the respondents preferred the maintenance of the estate to be run by the HDB. 26% prefer the town council to be elected directly by the resident.

Wisdom of the Crowd - New Issues

1. Should the employer be allowed to use a maid outside of the main place of work?

Vote in

Use of maid to clean the office

Mr. K employed a maid for his 4 room HDB flat. He runs a small office nearby to operate a small business. It is his main source of income.

He asked his maid to clean the office once a week and paid her an allowance for the additional work. This arrangement worked well for some time.
Later, there was a misunderstanding between Mr. K and her maid. She threatened to report to MOM that Mr. K had used her to clean the office, which was not allowed under the MOM approval letter.
Mr. K had no choice but to pay her a compensation (amount not disclosed) to avoid getting into trouble with MOM. Mr. K sent the maid back to her country.
Mr. K was disappointed that the restrictive terms imposed by MOM had caused him to be in trouble. He considered that his small office to be an extension of his home. The maid did not have to spend much time cleaning his small HDB flat anyway.
Prior to appointing the maid, he had agreed with her that she should clean the office and be paid an allowance. Later, she used it to put him under ransom.
Mr. K felt that MOM should be more flexible in the approval letter and allow him to treat his office as an extension of his home. After all, the maid spends only 2 hours a week to clean the office.
Should MOM be more flexible to allow the maid to be used outside of the main place of work provided that the time spent is kept at less than 8 hours a week, i.e. 20% of the normal working hours?

Monday, September 07, 2020

WOTC - Bus services in Bukit Panjang

 Wisdom of the Crowd: 78% said that the two bus services in Bukit Panjang should be reviewed and, if necessary, withdrawn. The other 22% said that the services are useful and should be kept.

WOTC - Rude remarks made against leaders

 Wisdom of the Crowd: Should citizens make rude remarks about their leaders? 47% said that it is in the nature of the job and is acceptable. 19% said that it is all right for the remarks to be made out of humor. The total is 66%. The remaining 34% disagree.

Sunday, September 06, 2020

WOTC - Streamline the bus and train services

 Wisdom of the Crowd: 90% of the respondents support the need to streamline the bus and train services to operate more efficiently and reduce the operating cost. See their reasons here.

WOTC - Russian president approve the use of a vaccine

 Wisdom of the Crowd: 79% of the respondents agree with the approach taken by the Russian president to approve the use of a vaccine even when it has not been fully tested. You can read their reasons here:

Wisdom of the Crowd - New Issues

 1. PM Lee said that Singapore has done well to handle the covid-19 pandemic.

Vote in

Insane thinking of many people

I suspect that many people in Singapore are insane. They have a strange way of thinking. Their logic appears to be bizarre.

Let me quote this example.

Challenge for change in Singapore

I am pessimistic about the future of Singapore. This is largely due to the kind of leaders that are now in charge in Singapore. But my pessimism is due more to the kind of people and the culture in Singapore.

Let me explain my view.

Insane to close the borders

It is insane to close borders.

A person can move freely within the same country but has to be quarantined when he (or she) crosses the border into another country.

How does a person becomes more infectious when he crosses the border?

This is a sure way to kill the tourism trade (and the livelihoods of hundred of thousand people), and to make people feel stressed and claustrophobic by staying in a small place like Singapore.

It is all right to require a traveler to take a covid-19 test (and pay for it). There is no need to quarantine the traveler for 7 or 14 days.

There is also no need to impose the test when the traveler had take a task within the last month (for example).

There is a risk that the traveler may be asymptomatic, but this is a small risk. This risk exists with the local population as well.

We need the people in charge of writing rules to have common sense. This applies especially to our insane ministers who are paid more than a million dollars to make sensible decisions.

Creating jobs to hassle people

Many people like the idea that "Safe Entry" requirements help to create jobs for elderly people.

I disagree.

There are many useful work that elderly people can carry out to earn an income.

For example, to help people find the way around.

Employing people to hassle other people is a bad idea - like recording Safe Entry manually (when the data is not being used), blocking access to malls and making customers walk a longer way to "Safe Entry" entrances, etc.

If the data is useful, I do not mind. But if I have to do "Safe Entry" many times in the same mall, I find it ridiculous.

Blog Archive