Saturday, October 19, 2019

WOTC - Why did Dyson decide to stop the electric car project?

Wisdom of the Crowd: The participants in this survey did not provide any clear guess of the reason why Dyson decided to stop its project to produce electric cars in Singapore. They were confused due to the lack of transparency from Dyson and the Singapore govt.

See the breakdown of the votes in

WOTC - Impeachment of Donald Trump

Wisdom of the Crowd: 87% of the respondents to this survey expect that impeachment of President Trump will fail; only 13% expect that it will succeed.

See the breakdown of the votes in

Friday, October 18, 2019

Wisdom of the Crowd - New Issues

1. Did the AHTC acted correctly in appointing FMSS as its managing agent?
2. Is it proper for an existing managing agent to decline to serve a newly elected town council?
Vote in

WOTC - Voting preference at next general election

Wisdom of the Crowd: 71% of the participants in this survey said that their voting preference (for or against the PAP) has not changed. Of the other 29%, a net of 9.3% said that the will change their voting preference away from PAP.

See the breakdown of the votes in

WOTC - Ministry statements against The Online Citizen

Wisdom of the Crowd: 87% of the respondents to this survey said that the statements of various ministries against The Online Citizen were unfair for various reasons. 13% said that the statements were fair and necessary to correct misreporting by this website.

See the breakdown of the votes in

Thursday, October 17, 2019

My secret for a successful weight loss program

I lost 10 kg in 4 months. From a BMI of 29.3 (rated as obese), I reduced to 2.45 (rated as normal).

My friend said that I achieved it through "determination". In reality, I have not changed my character. The primary driving force is explained by two words starting with M & E.

New York Times: Trump doesn’t have the integrity to be a mob boss

By Paul Krugman

Many people have compared Donald Trump to a mob boss. But I’m starting to think that the comparison is unfair — to mob bosses.

After all, you can’t build an empire, even a criminal empire, unless people believe that your word is worth something. They have to believe both that you’ll honor your promises and that you’ll make good on your threats. The first few times you renege on agreements it may look as if you’re being smart and other people are being suckers; but soon they’ll take your measure, and realize that you’re actually the guy who can be rolled.

I’ve been thinking about this reality over the past few days, as we’ve watched two separate Trump administration debacles unfold.

The biggest debacle, the one that has many of us feeling a bit ashamed to be Americans, is, of course, the betrayal of the Kurds. We don’t really know why Trump so casually abandoned allies who have fought and died on our behalf, but one thing is clear: Turkey’s President Recep Erdogan took Trump’s measure, decided that his threats to retaliate against Turkey’s effective invasion of Kurdish territory were empty, and seized the moment.

But there was another, lower-key debacle involving China. Trump has, of course, made a trade war with China the centerpiece of his economic policy, inflicting substantial harm on both economies along the way. Last week, however — perhaps realizing the weakness of his domestic position as the march to impeachment gathers momentum — he seemingly decided to declare victory and retreat, proclaiming that he had a deal with China that, even by his own officials’ description, sounded like getting nothing China hasn’t been offering all along.

But it was actually worse than that. Acute observers quickly pointed out that all we had was a unilateral announcement by U.S. officials that there was a deal, which should be treated with skepticism until and unless we got an explicit joint statement of what had been agreed.

And sure enough, yesterday the Chinese basically said, “Oh, that deal? Well, we’re thinking about it. Let’s talk some more.”

In other words, like Turkey’s Erdogan — and, actually, North Korea’s Kim Jong Un a while back — they’ve taken Trump’s measure and decided that he can be rolled.

The point is that Trump’s actual art of the deal, which involves making promises you intend to break whenever it seems convenient, only works if you can keep finding fresh suckers to cheat. If there are people you have to deal with repeatedly, like the leaders of other nations, they eventually figure out both that you can’t be trusted and that you needn’t be feared: your promises are empty, but so are your threats.

All of this has vastly weakened America. We used to be a country of great power but even greater influence, because we had principles other nations could count on us to follow. Now we have a leader whom other leaders see as malleable — an unprincipled and ill-informed guy who can be flattered, bribed or simply fooled into giving them what they want.

Making America great again, indeed.

A big hassle to report a non-delivery

I wish to describe a troublesome process adopted by Lazada and the unreliable service and poor process of Sing Post.
I mentioned Lee HL because he is the source of the dysfunction system adopted in Singapore, aggravated by PDPA.

Wisdom of the Crowd - New Issues

1. The PDPA is a good law
2. The GRC is a good system

Vote in

A bad law that cause a lot of damage

The PDPA is a bad law that has caused a lot of damage to our economy and daily life.

Quora: How is the U.S. trade war with China going for America?

Pavel Fekula, Active in Russian-American Relations, answered.

Trump has managed to secure some concessions from the Chinese, because his moves make them nervous, however it is not likely to end up going in Trump’s favor in the end. The Chinese leadership regard Trump as reckless and inexperienced, and that makes them nervous. He doesn’t understand the complex macroeconomic and foreign policy issues that he is dealing with. As a result, the Chinese have given him some concessions out of a fear that he will do something stupid that wrecks his economy and theirs.

Between the two nations, the Chinese have more leverage in the trade war. They are the US’s main creditor after all. If they want to hurt the US economy, all they have to do is start selling dollars and buying gold. However, the Chinese don’t want to wreck the economy of their #1 export market. At that, it would be hard for the Chinese to de-dollarize without losing a significant portion of their investment as the dollar drops in value.

However, in the event that there is a total breakdown between the two nations, China will emerge quicker than the US. As the dollar declines in value, the US descend into hyperinflation, making American consumers unable to afford foreign goods. It will be a long time before American manufacturing comes online to alleviate goods shortages. However if the Chinese lose their main export market, while it will likely produce a severe recession, in the end they will simply redirect their manufacturing towards domestic consumption.

WOTC - Increase in public transport fares

Wisdom of the Crowd: 96% of the participants in this survey said that the increase of 9 cents and 4 cents in the public transport fare is not fair, as there are other ways for the government to reduce the operating loss. The other 4% said that it is fair.

See the breakdown of the votes in

WOTC - Is Hong Kong important to China?

Wisdom of the Crowd: 76% of the participants in this survey said that Hong Kong is not important to China and can be easily displaced. the other 24% hold a different opinion.

See the breakdown of the votes in

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Wong meter reading result in high water bill

If you receive a bill from PUB stating that you had high consumption of water, it could be due to wrong reading of the water meter. It could be the latest reading or an earlier reading.

I found out and share my experience here.

Quora: Why has China the position of strength in negotiating a new trade deal with the US?

Paul Sutton, Stock Trader, electrical engineer answered.

China is stalling. It’s that simple. They dangle a carrot, and Trump thinks “Aha! I’ve got them on the ropes!” and then China slides off to the side and pulls the same stunt again. And again.

They have no interest is striking a deal with Trump. Trump is a bully. Imagine if Russia (or China) used or tried to use the same intimidating tactics on the US. Citizens from one side of the country to the next - most of whom now applaud Trump’s bullying - would be up in arms. We’d have the Chinese equivalent of “Freedom Fries.” Remember the furor over France not endorsing our desire to invade Iraq? Too far back?

Those same folks would be advocating boycotting of Chinese goods in the US far and wide, screaming epithets on every public forum available, and so on. But they think it’s okay if we do it to China.

China is more pragmatic than the US. They simply deflect the situation and stall knowing that Trump’s time in office is limited, whether to four years or eight is not of much consequence.

Trump thinks he’s winning. His supporters think he’s winning. I can’t see it. Nor can I see China rolling over because Trump demands that they do so. We certainly wouldn’t. What makes anyone think China will, or even should? Trade is negotiated, not dictated. Presuming that might makes right simply doesn’t work, as Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq should amply demonstrate, and I’d bet dimes to donuts the same frothing crowd that supported those wars also stand behind Trump. They never learn, do they?

WOTC - How the public view America

Wisdom of the Crowd: 24% of the participants in this survey have a positive view about America, 76% have a negative view.

See the breakdown of the votes in

WOTC - How the public view China

Wisdom of the Crowd: 80% of the participants in this survey have a favorable view about China, 20% have a negative view.

See the breakdown of the votes in

Are we paying too much to outsource the bus operations

In recent years, the government collects the revenue from the bus operations and tenders out the operations to the bus operators.

This is supposed to be a good system to keep the cost of operations low through competition, but there is a risk that this system could be badly managed.

I share my views.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Wisdom of the Crowd - New Issues

1. PM Lee said that workers will not be left to fend for themselves during transition
2. Is the NTUC effective in looking after the welfare of the workers.
Vote in

How I lost 10 kg in 4 months

This is the cover to my PDF book.

To get a copy, you can participate here.

However, you have to wait until end October to receive the PDF book.

Partial trade deal between US and China

On Friday 11 November, President Trump was jubilant about the partial trade deal with China.

He tweeted - (it is) as a major achievement and the best deal US farmers have ever secured. WOW, the Farmers really hit pay dirt,"

The following day, China said - not yet, we need more talks to clarify the terms of the deal before we sign the agreement.

Why did China take this stand?

I see two reasons.

First, China knows that Trump is desperate to have a trade agreement to present to the American voters.

Second, China is wary about Trump's erratic and unpredictable behavior. What is to stop him from implementing new demands at any time?

I believe that China wants to make sure that the partial trade deal will mean - no new demands.

What do you think?

WOTC - Ban on face mask in HK

Wisdom of the Crowd: 59% of the participants in this survey said that it is proper for the HK government to call for a ban on the use of the face mask during the current unrest. The remaining 41% disagreed.

See the breakdown of the votes in

WOTC - HK Police action in dealing with riots

Wisdom of the Crowd: 84%of the participants in this survey had a positive view of the HK Police in dealing with the rioters The remaining 16% said that the police had used excessive force.

See the breakdown of the votes in

Monday, October 14, 2019

Complicated situation in Syria

Wow. The situation in Syria is very complicated. There are so many parties - Syria, ISIS, Kurdish militia, Turkey.

It is a fertile ground for DT erratic policy.

New York Times: Turkish attack enables a gain for ISIS

On Sunday, hundreds of relatives of Islamic State fighters fled a detention camp run by Kurds in northern Syria after Turkish airstrikes hit the surrounding area.

And our reporters learned that the Kurdish militia, angered by the U.S. military withdrawal before the assault, blocked the Americans from extracting about five dozen “high value” Islamic State detainees from the prisons the militia runs. Here’s an explainer on the prisons, which hold about 11,000 men.

ISIS has already claimed responsibility for at least two attacks since the start of the invasion.

Further U.S. withdrawal: The U.S. said it would withdraw about 1,000 of its remaining troops from northeastern Syria, effectively ceding control to the Syrian government and Russia. Green Berets described feeling “ashamed” at orders to abandon their Kurdish allies.

Russia’s Syria role: Our video investigation proves that the Russian Air Force repeatedly bombed hospitals in rebel-held areas of Syria to crush remaining resistance to the country’s president, Bashar al-Assad.

Analysis: President Trump’s abrupt shift in Syria and acquiescence to the Turkish invasion have alarmed America’s allies in the Middle East.

Wisdom of the Crowd - New Issues

1. Will the seniors vote PAP because of the free fitness band?
2. Is Singapore a good place to retire in?
3. Footballer Ben Davis does not have any intent to return to Singapore

Vote in

A more efficient way to handle job interview

My friend migrated to Canada. He applied for a job as a software developer. There is a big demand for this skill in Canada.

He told me that their process is different from Singapore. They take the following steps.

Quora: Why doesn't Donald Trump just appoint a special counsel to investigate the Bidens?

Bruce Spielbauer answered.

Because, Trump would have to state the reason (some tiny bit of evidence) — and there is none.
It is the same reason Trump did not just call up the Department of Justice, and ask them to investigate. Either would have been legal. (If Trump had a tiny bit of evidence.)

Asking a foreign power to do it, (both the Ukraine, and now China) was a crime. A felony, in fact.
Because, the subject was a political opponent.

Poor customer service

This is another example of the poor quality of customer service in Singapore. It is shockingly bad.

WOTC - Waiting time at pedestrian crossing

Wisdom of the Crowd: 50% of the participants in this survey said that the green man at the pedestrian crossing should appear within 1 minute. The other 50% accept a longer waiting time, depending on traffic condition.

See the breakdown of the votes in

WOTC - Protester shot by HK Police

Wisdom of the Crowd: 78% of the participants in this survey said that the protester who was shot by the HK police should be charged for rioting. Another 10% said he should be charged but given a lighter punishment. The remaining 12% said that he should not be charged.

See the breakdown of the votes in

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Wine and cheese party

I attend the wine and cheese party organized by the neighborhood committee.

I asked the committee - who pays for the expenses of the party?

I know that the neighborhood committee does not collect any fee from the attendees nor any subscription from the residents.

He told me that the expenses are paid by the People's Association. They set aside an annual budget for the neighborhood committee to spend.

The PAP member of parliament is invited to the party.

Okay, that is fine. The residents should remember that the money come from our taxes and GST. It does not come from the PAP or the MP.

Enjoy the wine, cheese and other food. Remember to vote according to what is best for the people, how to bring down the cost of living, how to ensure that jobs are secure and that the government leaders do not take care of their self interest. OK?

Encourage renting of houses

I wish to suggest that the government should encourage the renting of houses and flats. This will allow working people to live near their workplace and retired people to live near their children.

I quote the example of Mr. K.

The ground is sour for PAP

After the judgment for the AHTC case was announced, a few people have expressed their anger in their conversation to me.

They asked for my view, but I told them that I did not follow the judgment closely.

They expressed the following statements:

Wisdom of the Crowd - New Issues

1. Which candidate has the best chance to beat Donald Trump in 2020?
2. Do you agree with the judgment on the AHTC case?
3. Will you continue to support the Worker's Party?
4. How much will the WP MPs have to pay in damages for the AHTC case?

Vote in

Singaporeans have to think critically

Singaporeans have to think critically before expressing their opinion.

WOTC - Performance of President Trump

Wisdom of the Crowd: 75% of the participants in this survey have negative opinion of the performance of President Trump. 25% have a positive opinion.

See the breakdown of the votes in

WOTC - Network of bus services

Wisdom of the Crowd: 53% of the participants in this survey preferred to continue with the current wide network of bus services. So they don't mind paying higher public transport fares. The other 47% disagree.

See the breakdown of the votes in

Blog Archive