I have been advising people to avoid Dual Currency Investment for the past year. My views are stated in this FAQ: http://www.tankinlian.com/faq/duali.html
This type of investment allows you to bet on currency movements. You stand the chance of a big loss when the currency moves against you. You only get a small return (in the form of a higher interest rate) when currency moves in your favour.
Recently, the AUD dropped by 30%. Those who were "long" in AUD lost 30%. But those who were "short" in AUD did not gain 30%. They only gain 1% or 2% in higher interest. The bank keeps the remainder of the profit.
I learned to my horror that unsophisticated investors were asked to invest in "leveraged" dual currency investments. The bank lends them 4 times of their investment, so that they can take 5 times of the risk. If the currency drops by 20%, their total investment is wiped out (i.e. 20% X 5 times).
The relationship manager of the bank who sold the leveraged DCI earned 5 times of the commission on this product. But, it wiped out the total savings of the investors.
Someone told me that her mother lost $500,000 on this type of investment. Another retiree told me that he lost $150,000 in 2 months, out of the invested sum of S200,000.
Do not invest in any of these products. Be careful about the advice of the relationship managers.
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
10/26 - 11/02
- Compare toxic financial product with melamine
- Why are banks allowed to sell structured products ...
- Trace the IP address of SiewKhim
- Scuffle in HK Protest Over Lehman-Linked Products
- Speaker's Corner - 1 Nov 2008 5 to 7 pm
- Speaker’s Corner 1 November 2008 - Speech
- Use your real name
- Educate the public about the structured products
- Invest in transparent and fair products
- Petition #4 - Review Complaint Handling Process
- High Notes Investor Group - Press release 30 Oct 0...
- Buy Government Bonds through ATM
- Undergraduate reply to Prof Lan
- News about Jubilee Notes arranger
- Conflict of interest between bank and customer
- Old news that may be useful
- NTUC Bonus Cut was a bad idea
- Financial Services Authority fines Lloyds Bank in ...
- Reply to Today Paper - "Structured Products ....."...
- Be empathic to investors who lost their savings
- LET'S NOT FORGET ABOUT PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY'
- Misleading Prospectus
- Thomas Jefferson's views on the banking system
- Talking point - minibonds and structured products
- Videos about speeches in Speaker's Corner
- US Attorney General recovers for investors in auct...
- High risk from inception
- Do you hear the people sing - version #4
- Mini-bond investor gives his view
- Savings of retired workers
- Collective legal action (1)
- Buying Government Securities
- Regulator should disallow the sale of bad products...
- Singapore Kopitiam Forum
- Nature and risk of the structured product
- Make Government Bonds easily available
- Not a happy time for me
- Misleading advertisements
- Why does the stock market fall?
- Unconditional help from volunteers
- NUS dean also exposed to loss
- Enforce the law
- Well regarded persons oversee the financial instit...
- Town Council invest in Minibond
- Jump on bandwagon
- Malaysia act against land banking
- Can investors understand CDO?
- Biggest loss in the the structured products
- CLSA Asks 500 Staff to Take Pay Cuts of Up to 25%
- Collapse of the global financial system
- Lehman Brother bond
- A fair compensation
- Prospectus needed
- A fair rate of return
- Electricity prices: 82% higher her than in Hong Ko...
- Profit margin in creating the structured product
- BBC radio documentary on structured products
- Call to MAS - pass general guideline for compensti...
- Husband's objection
- Blog for High Note investors
- Complaint Form
- It will be handled 'fairly'
- Interviews with Financial Institutions
- Unhappy with the interview
- Deposit Guarantee scheme in New Zealand
- Singapore Government guarantees bank deposits
- Leveraged Dual Currency Investments
- Pinnacle Notes - lodge a complaint now
- ▼ 10/26 - 11/02 (68)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)