Monday, July 23, 2018

Responding to crooks in the Internet

Some people are worried that their mobile numbers and email addresses have been stolen and can be used by crooks to scam them.

I adopt this approach. My email and mobile numbers are not secret. I do not care if it is stolen from a database that is hacked. I do not need the database owner to tell me.

Knowing that my mobile number or email is not a secret information, I exercise care in responding to emails and SMS. I ignore messages from people that I do not know, unless I have reason to believe that they are genuine, e.g. someone asking for my advice.

I also know that my credit card is not secret. I welcome the alerts that my bank send to me about transactions with my credit card. I also check my monthly statement.

I check that the total appears to be in order - and if not, I look at the details. It does not matter that someone steal a few tens of dollars from me, but if it is $1,000 or more, it is a different matter.






No comments:

Blog Archive