Saturday, January 05, 2019

Switching electricity supplier

I just applied to transfer my electricity supply to Ohms Energy. I chose the price of 25% below the tariff rate.

Ohms also used SP Service to bill their charges, so I do not have to pay two bills each month.

Some of the providers, e.g. Keppel Electric, have direct billing. They send their own bill for electricity and SP will send the bill for water. I find this to be wasteful.

I do not understand the rationale for Ohms to charge 25% below SP. Does SP have such a high margin? Should the govt force them to reduce their margin?

I found the Ohms website to be quite complicated. They have many pricing plans and they ask for a lot of details to be provided (which I need to search).

They even ask for my NRIC, when it is already with SP Services. I do not understand why every company need the customer to go through this hassle.

There is another matter that is troubling. I search for information about Ohms - who are the shareholders, etc. I found none. (Maybe, I searched the wrong place).

Surely, the Energy Market Authority should provide this information on their website? After all, they are advising consumers to choose one of the "approved" providers.

Tan Kin Lian






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Life is so simple.Why make it so complicated.

Blog Archive