Saturday, July 02, 2005

A lady's view on Early Marriage

FROM A LADY COLLEAGUE

I wish to give my views on the pros and cons of getting married early.

I have read your blog and agree that getting married early does have its advantages. I married at the age of 23, gave birth at 25, completed my Masters in Business (Accounting) at 27, gave birth to my second one last year at 31.

Pros:
Able to start family earlier therefore able to plan for retirement better as the age whereby children reach university level does not coincide with retirement age.
After we settle down, time to concentrate on career.

Cons:
Friends and colleagues about the same age are able to enjoy themselves without the commitment as being married, we are tied down. Getting married earlier, financially not strong. Buying house is deferred.

On the whole, I still encourage people to get married early. I have been the envy of many people as my elder son is already in Primary 1. While other people about my age just gave birth to their first child or still have not given birth, I already have my second child.

Getting married and starting family early is like tasting bitter first and then tasting the sweetness at the end of the life journey.

3 comments:

Heavenly Sword said...

"Getting married and starting family early is like tasting bitter first and then tasting the sweetness at the end of the life journey."

This is very true...Well put.

But it seems that people's notion of 'early' has changed: getting married at 29 is now considered 'early' by many people.

Ivan Chew said...

You know what would be nice, Mr. Tan? Other posts from your colleagues who have views on "Getting Married Late" or "Not Getting Married" or "Married with No kids". Diversity of views always adds flavour to a conversations :)

Anonymous said...

Aiyoh, Shot-Gun case or got cheated?

Blog Archive