Friday, July 06, 2007

Postage increased to 26 cents

I bought many stamp labels for 25 cents (which was the postage previously). With the increase in GST, the postage increased to 26 cents.

I enquired with Singapore Post. What should I do with the current labels?

Their reply: go to a post office, change the labels to 26 cents and pay the difference.

It seems to be quite inconsiderate of Singapore Post. They could have replied, "we will continue to accept the 25 cents label and absorb the difference in GST".

I hope that businesses in Singapore, especially those that are making good profits, can be considerate! Anyway, it probably cost Singapore Post more than 1 cent to replace the labels!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Tan,

SingPost needs to do a lot better for many of their services. When there is no competition that can erode their profitability, shouldn't they leverage on this monopoly and set benchmark of a world-class postal service provider? In this 21st century, they must innovate while keeping their cost low to justify for being the monopoly for many years to come.

Anonymous said...

Coincidentally, this morning I posted a letter using a 25c stamp.

After I remembered that the postage has increased, I call SingPost to ask what I should do. The person I spoke to said that it is OK, my letter will still be delivered, but the receiver will have to pay the 1c difference. I told her that I don't think the receiver will want to pay the 1c, and she replied that even if the receiver doesn't want to pay, my letter will be delivered.

Nevertheless, I will call my receiver to check in a few days' time.

Anonymous said...

you might want to check their FAQ here:

http://www.singpost.com.sg/downloads/2007GSTFAQ.pdf

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with you that Singpost is inconsiderate in this aspect. They have not considered the time cost and transport cost that we have to bear in order to change to their preferred way. Recently, I also noticed that the postal system is becoming less reliable. In the past week alone, I have several of my neighbour's letters delivered to my postbox and I can only suspect that my mail could also have been delivered elsewhere. In their quest for profit, service has gone down, which includes hiring lower cost labour with corresponding lower service quality. They are a monopoly so what else can we do.

Blog Archive