Saturday, February 23, 2008

Keep your existing policy

Dear Mr. Tan,
Four years ago, I bougt a 25 year saving plan as follows:
Sum assured: $10,000
No. of years of Premiums Payable :25
Monthly Premium: $70
Maturity Benefits: $16,581
Projected rate of return: 4.75%

I am considering to terminate my savings plan insurance. I wish to buy Term insurance and invest the savings in bonds or unit trust. What is your advice?

REPLY
My advice is for you to keep this policy. My reasons are:
1. It is quite small
2. You have probably incurred the upfront expenses already
3. The projected return of 4.75% is quite attractive.

You will need additional insurance within the next few years, as your current sum assured is quite low. When you are ready to invest more, you can buy Term insurance and invest the difference in a diversified, low cost fund, such as the STI ETF.

Read this FAQ:
http://www.tankinlian.com/faq/savings.html

No comments:

Blog Archive