Thursday, January 01, 2009

In memory of Mr. J. B. Jeyaretnam

Speech at Hong Lim Park, New Year's Eve Party
I wish to thank Chee Siok Chin for inviting me to this event and giving me the opportunity to speak a few words in memory of Mr. J. B. Jeyaretnam.

I do not know Mr. Jeyaretnam personally. I attended only one of his election rally in the late 1970s and only for a few minutes.

What I knew of him came mainly from reports in the newspapers over the next 20 years. They covered the unhappy events in his life, like defending against defamation suits or for infringements of certain regulations on his political activities. Like most Singaporeans, I had a somewhat negative opinion of him from these reports.

In July this year, my friend invited me to the inaugural dinner of the Reform Party that was just set up by Mr. Jeyaretnam. At the dinner, I decided to buy two copies of his books as a show of support. The book was a collection of his speeches in Parliament over the years.

My impression of Mr. Jeyaretnam changed quite completely after reading a few paragraphs from the book. Here was a man who was passionate about the well being of the people of Singapore and, especially in uplifting the life of the lower income levels in our society.

I realised that I shared many of his values and passion. I thought of finding the occasion to get to know him better as a person.

That opportunity is now gone forever. Mr. Jeyaretnam passed away suddenly a few months later.

Someone circulated an e-mail containing a tribute to Mr. Jeyaretnam. He described Mr. Jeyaretnam as a person who had done his best for what he believed to be good for Singapore and Singaporeans, and yet many Singaporeans did not know of him and his sacrifice. I decided to post this tribute in my blog.

A few people asked for signatures to an open letter to the Prime Minister to ask for the public service of Mr. Jeyaretnam to be recognised. I decided to join in and to help to get more signatures.

I was disappointed in getting only 25 signatures after a week, in spite of several efforts to publicise it. This number was so small, compared to an earlier signature campaign on the credit linked notes which collected nearly 1,000 signatures. Perhaps, Singaporeans did not see Mr. Jeyaretnam in a positive light or were afraid to be seen as supporting the call in the open letter.

I hope that, over the years, Singaporeans will get to know better of Mr. J. B. Jeyaretnam and what he has done for Singapore.

2008 has been a difficult year. 2009 will continue to be challenging. In spite of the uncertainties, let me wish all of you the very best for 2009 and the years ahead.

Tan Kin Lian


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Tan,

I still remember in my secondary or JC days when i see Mr Jeyaretnam selling his book in the MRT station. My friends and I will just look and know that he's part of the opposition party. Some old dog, crushed by PAP and still fighting. Madness and insanity is how we describe to fight against something that we can never win. (yes, i do admit that then, or maybe even now, alot of mid twenties and below people do not know or should i say care about the political/national events).

Unfortunately, i m one of the "Perhaps, Singaporeans did not see Mr. Jeyaretnam in a positive light".

I hope that i do not miss another person like him, which is why I told all my friends and family members about you standing up for the minibond victims. Wake Singaporeans up! and before you knew it, you ll find alot of like minded Singaporeans standing with and around you!

Regards,

Siyu

Blog Archive