Monday, December 27, 2010

TKL Website (www.tankinlian.com)

Do this survey. Thank you.

I created the TKL website using the PDF centric format in August 2010, slightly more than 4 months ago. I wish to share my experience with this style of website:
Positive
1. It is easy for me to create content in PDF and to upload them into the website. I create several PDF each week.
2. It is easy to search for the PDF using the keyword. I have to use it often to locate PDF to answer questions from my readers.
3. My reader are able to use the "Enquiry" tab to send questions to me. I receive a few questions daily.
4. It is fast to retrieve information from my website, using the web browser.
Negative
1. Some readers said that they had difficulty in reading the PDF on their mobile device. I am not able to find a solution to this weakness. My intent is that the PDF should be read on a web browser and not a mobile device. I have tried to use the HTML format, but I found it difficult to embed graphics in the HTML format under the database structure of this website.

Overview
I believe that a public or business corporation should have an actively managed website with dynamic content and allow the public to search for information in an easy and fast way. The PDF centric website seems to provide this capability. The ease of creating content on PDF should encourage the corporation to have an active website, compared to the traditional HTML website.

I welcome feedback and suggestions to be posted here or sent to kinlian@gmail.com.
Tan Kin Lian

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wordpress is a popular blogging platform. Comes in 2 flavours. One is a hosted app and the other for a site owner to use. The software is free. Very easy one button install on your site if using hosted solution. Google wordpress and you will find a ton of info. Html not needed and not difficult to insert graphics. uses mysql db engine.

Azure Sphere IoT said...

I always read most websites/blog using RSS reader, fast and very easily organised, except for TKL website, which I need to click a few more to open the PDF.

I hope you can provide content in RSS format too.

Blog Archive